Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Companion to Analysis , by Tom Korner

1. Dec 26, 2003 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"A Companion to Analysis", by Tom Korner

"Companion" used to be a great online tome (600+pp) on real analysis, that was available for free. I had printed out only parts of it, thinking it would always be there. I went to the web site to access it, and much to my horror it had been picked up by the AMS and is now being sold for 80 bucks . What is worse, it will not be available till next year sometime. I am kicking myself for not having downloaded it.

If any of you out there has downloaded this book, and would not mind e-mailing a copy to me, please respond here or send me a PM, and I'll get my email address to you.

In the mean time, I will be busy downloading every single online resource I have ever found.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you Lonewolf for sending me a copy of the book. I'm all set. If anyone else has been looking for this and would like a copy, just let me know.

4. Jan 10, 2004 #3
    I've recently uploaded this to a Yahoo Briefcase. If anyone is interested, PM me for the user name and password to the account.

Better still, if someone knows of a free web-host that will host files around 5mb, please let me know.

5. Mar 9, 2004 #4

Hello,

is this a book from where one can start studying analysis or is it necessary to have some prerequisites ?

is it a book for undergraduate or graduate students ?

thanks

6. Mar 10, 2004 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would depend on the undergraduate or graduate concerned.

I believe the book arose from Korner's teaching at Cambridge, and I suspect the AMS will splash - 'suitable for the advanced undergraduate, beginning graduate' thing across the back because it will intend it for US audiences. If you're in the UK, then it's undergrad definitely, though whether it's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year material will again depend on the university you're at.

7. Mar 10, 2004 #6

thank you.

is this book suitable for self study as the title suggests "A Second First and First Second Course" having a certain basis, no ?

8. Mar 10, 2004 #7

Also, can anyone send me the file of the book by email or indicate by PM the address of a website where I can find it.

I am interested, but I don't understand what you mean by this ? I did send you a PM

try www.tiscali.fr

9. Mar 11, 2004 #8
    Apologies for the delayed response. I'm currently indulging in the usual end of semester mad rush of work. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when I get some time.

10. Mar 11, 2004 #9

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?