Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A competition

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    How to express 1+1=2 the most complicated way imaginable?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2
    Does 1+1=2? In order to answer this question, we must ask ourselves what a number represents. Are there any real ones in the universe at all? It seams that anything called a 1 is merely a collection of other 1's and so on until we get down to our most fundamental building blocks. But even then does one plus one equal 2? Lets assume the form of a water droplet. Does one droplet+one droplet equal two droplets, or does it equal one bigger droplet, how many hydrogen atoms does it equal, how many quarks? In this way one may say that there are either no ones or only one.

In what instances can 1+1 actually equal 2 other than in non physical mental constructs? Of those physical ones, can they be added together into two's, or are they merely two ones, rather than one two. Certainly they aren't a two. This would imply they are one which is paradoxical.

Therefore I conclude 1+1=1, and 1-1=2.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  4. Sep 3, 2009 #3
    Hi jreelawg!

Yes the purpose of this test is:

Is there a level/threshold in which the most simple equation or function (I don't really know if the 1+1=2 is the most suitable for this purpose) can be expanded to or almost an incomprehensible form

and what can we learn from that.

5. Sep 8, 2009 #4
    The purpose of this game is only 1+1=2 ! and 1-1=2

6. Oct 5, 2009 #5
    Assume in any step of a division, there is not a div0 error.

1 + 1 = 2
    n(1+1) = 2n, for any n subset R except 0.

a+n(1+1) = 2n, for any a subset R

(a+n(1+1))/n = 2

int((a+n(1+1))/n), da) = int(2, da)

(((a^2)/2)+an(1+1))/n = 2a

At this point, it becomes unbearable to continue typing. If only I remembered the typing notation. Of course, we now need to multiply both sides by i, do some more random mathematics, and then square both sides.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook