Proving Complex Integral Identity: \ln|z|^2

In summary: Finally, integrating both sides with respect to z and \bar{z} and using the property \int \delta(x)dx = 1, we get:\int dz d\bar{z} \delta(z)\delta(\bar{z}) = \frac{1}{4} \int dz d\bar{z} = 1Thus, we have proved the given identity. In summary, we have shown that the given identity holds by using the properties of the delta function and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. I hope
ismaili

Homework Statement

Prove the following identity,
[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\frac{\partial}{\partial\bar{z}}\ln|z|^2
= 2\pi \delta^2(z,\bar{z})
[/tex]
where the delta function is defined such that
[tex]
\int dz d\bar{z} \detla^2(z,\bar{z}) = 1
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

While [tex]z[/tex] is not zero, the identity is easily seen to be hold, because,
[tex] \ln|z|^2 = \ln z + \ln\bar{z} [/tex]
So both sides are zero.
To include the point [tex]z=0[/tex], I tried to integrate both sides,
[tex] \int dzd\bar{z}... [/tex]
The right hand side is obviously [tex]2\pi[/tex].
But I don't know how to deal with the left hand side?

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this interesting identity to our attention. I would like to provide a proof for this identity using some basic concepts from complex analysis and the properties of the delta function.

Firstly, we can rewrite the given identity as:

\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\frac{\partial}{\partial\bar{z}}\ln|z|^2
= 2\pi \delta^2(z,\bar{z}) = 2\pi \delta(z)\delta(\bar{z})

where the second equality follows from the definition of the two-dimensional delta function.

Now, let's consider the function f(z,\bar{z}) = \ln|z|^2. This function is analytic everywhere except at z = 0, where it has a singularity. We can therefore use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to express the derivatives of f in terms of its partial derivatives:

\frac{\partial}{\partial z} f = \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} - i\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)
\frac{\partial}{\partial\bar{z}} f = \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + i\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)

where z = x+iy.

Substituting these expressions into the original identity, we get:

\frac{1}{4}\left(\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} - i\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x\partial y} - i\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y\partial x}\right) = 2\pi \delta(z)\delta(\bar{z})

Now, we can use the fact that \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\delta(x) = -\delta'(x) and \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\delta(y) = -\delta'(y) to simplify the above expression as:

\frac{1}{4}\left(-\delta'(x) + \delta'(y) - i\delta''(x) -i\delta''(y)\right) = 2\pi \delta(z)\delta(\bar{z})

Using the definition

1. What is a complex integral identity?

A complex integral identity is an equation that relates two complex-valued functions through an integral. It is used to simplify or evaluate integrals involving complex functions.

2. What is the identity for ln|z|^2?

The identity for ln|z|^2 is ln|z|^2 = 2ln|z|, where z is a complex number. This identity is often used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals involving logarithmic functions.

3. How do you prove the complex integral identity for ln|z|^2?

The complex integral identity for ln|z|^2 can be proved using the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the fundamental theorem of calculus. First, rewrite the integral in terms of real and imaginary parts, then use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to simplify the expression. Finally, apply the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral and show that it equals the identity.

4. Why is the complex integral identity for ln|z|^2 useful?

The complex integral identity for ln|z|^2 is useful because it allows for the simplification and evaluation of complex integrals involving logarithmic functions. It can also be used to prove other complex integral identities and to solve problems in complex analysis.

5. Are there any other applications of the complex integral identity for ln|z|^2?

Yes, the complex integral identity for ln|z|^2 has applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of electric and magnetic fields. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics and in statistical mechanics.