What Are the Final Velocities After an Elastic Collision Between Two Books?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the final velocities of two books, a physics book and a chemistry book, in an elastic collision. The conversation includes the use of momentum-energy conservation formulas, different methods of solving the problem, and an applet that can be used to check the results. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of using relativity to simplify the problem and a request for more information on this approach.
rootX

Homework Statement

A physics book is thrown @ 12 km/h [N 28 E] mass = 1.54 kg
and a chemistry book @ 9 km/h [N 65 W]; mass = 1.82 kg

if they collided in an elastic collision find final velocities of each book.

Homework Equations

those two momentum-energy conservation formulas.

The Attempt at a Solution

so, I assumed that frame of ref. is moving @ 9 km/h [N 65 W]
and then found relative velocities, and using those two formulas find the velocities of both books, and again converted the final relative velocities to original vs.

and got 9.75 km/h [N59 W] for the physics book, and 11.07 km/h [N 32 E] for the chemistry book.
I am not sure about my answers because I had to do many calculations, and if you can check them for me?
<is there an easier way to solve such problems?
I was wondering about center of mass thing, but I did not try using that way because I really dunn know if that would be an easier way and also I dunn even know how to find the velocity of the center of the mass of this system>

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not surprised the chemistry book was heavier, due to all the excessive handwaving that goes on with such a lesser science.:tongue:

I must admit that I am unfamiliar with your method of solution, the approach i was taught is a bit different. First you need to figure the angle of impact, and by resolving the momenta into components that are axial and perpendicular, it becomes a 1-D problem, with the usual eqns derived by conserving both momenta and energy. The tangential components are unaffected but then need to be added back to the 1D results to get correct vectors.

Let me hunt around a bit, iirc there is an applet that will let us check the results on line as I certainly have better things to do.

Hah, I thought that the question would be about a complex momentum, as in root(-1). A little disappointed.

So you used relativity to "simplify" the problem? Your method is fine, though I have not checked the calculations either.

The way you could check is to use a ground reference frame the whole way through, and see how the answers compare.

Mindscrape, I'm intrigued. I have used similar principles such as even imposing an accelerating inertial frame of reference (which is allowed by both Newton and Einstein) to solve some simple problems. Gimme the gist or a good link, and I'll be really appreciative.

OP: here's the applet, I wouldn't worry about converting to m/s the results should be the same. You can move the balls around to get the right angle, sort of a fun applet, but stop it after the desired collision or it becomes a perpetual pool game with refeshed results.
http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=4

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea is that you use relativity to make one of the objects "at rest" before the collision. Then you analyze the collision according to your "at rest" frame, and figure out the vectors. After you have done that you simply convert it back to the original inertial "ground" reference frame. Though it will only work for perfectly elastic collisions because inelastic collisions will lose energy and be non-inertial. However, since the collision is elastic, energy is conserved, and everything stays inertial, the analysis in one frame will be equally valid as in some other, and no information will be lost when converting between the two.

Tried finding in one of my physics books to take a picture of, but can't, sorry.

thanks that was very helpful.

thanks a lot! =P

What is a complex momentum problem?

A complex momentum problem is a type of scientific problem that involves understanding and predicting the behavior of a system in motion. It typically involves multiple interacting factors, making it difficult to solve using simple equations.

What are some examples of complex momentum problems?

Examples of complex momentum problems include predicting the trajectory of a rocket, understanding the motion of particles in a gas, and analyzing the movement of objects in a fluid. These types of problems often involve a combination of forces, velocities, and accelerations.

How do scientists approach solving complex momentum problems?

Scientists use a variety of mathematical and computational techniques to solve complex momentum problems. This may include using equations of motion, numerical simulations, and advanced mathematical models. They also rely on experimental data to validate their solutions.

Why are complex momentum problems important?

Complex momentum problems are important because they help us understand the behavior of systems in motion, which is crucial for many fields of science and engineering. By solving these problems, we can make predictions and design better technologies that utilize momentum, such as airplanes and rockets.

What are some challenges in solving complex momentum problems?

One of the main challenges in solving complex momentum problems is dealing with the large amount of data and variables involved. It can also be difficult to accurately model all the factors that can affect the system's motion. Additionally, many complex momentum problems require advanced mathematical skills and computing power, making them time-consuming and resource-intensive to solve.