1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A computer teacher on a physics roll here?

1. May 1, 2004 #1
    A certain teacher at my school who teaches compters always says "Magnetism is the future". He says that by utilizing the magnetic fields of planets as "energy boosts or a trampoline" for travel at c+. I explained this is impossible, according to SR a while back, but I backed off (because he was very determined in his idea). But now, I need a really compelling arguement. So, anyone here want to help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2004 #2
    Sure. Try this: Alright, suppose you somehow manage to extract energy from a magnetic field by allowing it to accelerate a charged particle. Even better, a stream of charged particles carrying a message in binary. Suppose it travels at 1.2c and arrives in the radios of some friendly aliens at Proxima Centauri, about 4 light years distant. They, then, observe an effect (the signal) preceeding a cause (the use of the magnetic field to send the signal), which is of course impossible.

In a good SR text book, there are more elaborate examples of why superluminal travel is impossible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?