A conjecture about the roots of real functions

In summary, a real function f(x) will have all real roots unless it falls under one of the following cases: 1. K(x) is a polynomial of even degree, which may or may not have real roots.2. f(x) is exp(g(x)), where g(x) is not equal to ln of something, resulting in infinitely many real roots.3. f(z) is invariant under the transformation of v=-v, meaning that complex roots may exist.4. The function f includes some of the functions mentioned above, resulting in the possibility of complex roots. However, these cases do not apply to all real functions, and the roots of a real function are typically real.
eljose
All the roots of a real function f(x) are real unless.
1.K(x) is a Polynomial of degree k
2.f(x)=exp(g(x)) where g(x) is different from ln of something
3.f(z) with z=u+iv is invariant under the transformation of v=-v with f(u+iv)=F(u-iv)..
4.the function f includes some of the functions above named

In this cases there can be complex roots,excluding this all the roots are real...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
eljose said:
1.K(x) is a Polynomial of degree k
2.f(x)=exp(g(x)) where g(x) is different from ln of something
3.f(z) with z=u+iv is invariant under the transformation of v=-v with f(u+iv)=F(u-iv)..
4.the function f includes some of the functions above named
In this cases there can be complex roots,excluding this all the roots are real...
1. polynomials with even degree might not have any real roots. what about x^2 + 1 ? if the degree of a polynomial is odd then it will always have a real root. if i the degree is even it might have real roots, it might not.

Last edited:
2. set g(x) = ln(sin(x)) + 1, which doesn't equal ln of something but exp(g(x)) has infinitely many real roots, at multiples of pi

edit: i guess i didn't consider domain/range with this counterexample but i don't think it's really important.

There is no unless. The roots of a real function are always real.

The real function defined by g(x) = x^2 + 1 has no roots.

The complex function defined by h(x) = x^2 + 1, of course, has two complex roots.

In light of Hurkyl's point, eljose, exactly what do you mean by a "real function"? Hurkyl is clearly taking it to mean "a real valued function of a single real variable" which, by definition, cannot have any non-real roots- so your statement is wrong.
I might be inclined to take it to mean "a real valued function of a single complex variable" (the "real function" simply meaning real valued) so that it is possible to have non-real roots.
However, in that case, your statement is still wrong.
Counterexample: take f(x+ iy)= y- 1.
1) f is not a polynomial.
2) f is not exp(f(z)) (in what I understand to be your sense).
3) f(x-iy)= -y-1 so it is not invariant under complex conjugate.
4) f is not a combination of the above.
But the roots of f are all numbers of the form x+ i.

the case f(x+iy)=y-1 makes no sense..i am supposing HallsoftIvy that f is real so f(x-y) for real x and y will be real,however according to your definition:
f(x-y)=iy-1 is complex but if f,x and y are real also f(x-y) should be real.

The case exp(f(x))-1=0, i am supposign that f(x) is not ln(g(x)+1)

the counterxamples i have proposed can have or can not have real roots

this conjecture is realted to Riemann hypothesis in the sense that in both cases for [tex]\zeta(1/2+is)[/tex] if s is a root also s* is another root,and the Riemann function has no symmetry under the change of s=-s.

eljose said:
the case f(x+iy)=y-1 makes no sense..i am supposing HallsoftIvy that f is real so f(x-y) for real x and y will be real,however according to your definition:
f(x-y)=iy-1 is complex but if f,x and y are real also f(x-y) should be real.
Apparently you don't understand the function I used. The function I defined: f(x+iy)= y-1 means exactly what it says: if z= x+ iy then f(z)= y-1.
f(z)= the imaginary part of z, minus 1. If x and y are real then x-y has 0 imaginary part so f(x-y)= 0-1= -1, not a complex number.

The case exp(f(x))-1=0, i am supposign that f(x) is not ln(g(x)+1)
the counterxamples i have proposed can have or can not have real roots
this conjecture is realted to Riemann hypothesis in the sense that in both cases for [tex]\zeta(1/2+is)[/tex] if s is a root also s* is another root,and the Riemann function has no symmetry under the change of s=-s.

1. What is a conjecture about the roots of real functions?

A conjecture about the roots of real functions is a proposed statement or idea about the behavior of roots of real functions. It is not yet proven to be true, but is supported by evidence and reasoning.

2. How is a conjecture about the roots of real functions different from a theorem?

A conjecture is different from a theorem in that a theorem has been proven to be true, while a conjecture is still being investigated and has not yet been proven.

3. What types of evidence support a conjecture about the roots of real functions?

Evidence for a conjecture about the roots of real functions can include numerical calculations, graphs, and patterns observed in data. It can also be supported by mathematical reasoning and logic.

4. How do scientists test a conjecture about the roots of real functions?

Scientists test a conjecture about the roots of real functions by performing experiments, collecting data, and analyzing the results. They may also use mathematical techniques and models to further investigate the conjecture.

5. Can a conjecture about the roots of real functions ever be proven?

Yes, a conjecture about the roots of real functions can be proven if it is supported by enough evidence and reasoning. Once it has been proven, it becomes a theorem and is accepted as a fact in mathematics.