Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A Continuity Problem

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f be a function with the property that every point of discontinuity is a removable discontinuity. This means that [tex]\lim_{y\to x} f(y)[/tex] exists for all x, but f may be discontinuous at some (even infinitely many) numbers x. Define [tex]g(x) = \lim_{y\to x} f(y)[/tex]. Prove that g is continuous.

The attempt at a solution
    So I have to prove that for all a,

[tex]\lim_{x \to a} g(x) = \lim_{x \to a} \lim_{y\to x} f(y) = g(a) = \lim_{y\to a} f(y) [/tex]

In other words, for every e > 0, there is a d > 0 such that

[tex]\left| \lim_{y\to x} f(y) - \lim_{y\to a} f(y) \right| < e[/tex]

for all x satisfying |x - a| < d. I have no clue how to find d. Any tips.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I think you are going to need to reduce the two limits in your last inequality to their definitions.

4. Jul 23, 2008 #3
    OK. So let d' be such that |f(y) - g(x)| < e for all y with |y - x| < d' and let d'' be such that |f(y) - g(a)| < e for all y with |y - a| < d''.

The problem now is that I can't fiddle around with |f(y) - g(x)| < e and |f(y) - g(a)| < e because there are different intervals where these inequalities are true.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook