1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A cool question

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Prove that for every set of n numbers has a subset whose sum is divisible by n. I found this result very interesting. It's also fun to prove!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2
    Must these numbers be in sequence? Like {4,5,6,7,8}, or could it be any set like {1,10}?

EDIT: Never mind...that was a silly question.

4. Sep 22, 2007 #3
    can this subset be 1 number? or does it have to be summable?

5. Sep 22, 2007 #4

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Both the set and subset can be any not emty set. But I forgot to mention that numbers can repeat themselves so that in this case {1,1,2,2,4} is a "set" of 5 numbers and to answer ices's question, {1} is a subset of it.

6. Sep 22, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that is NOT a "set" of 5 numbers! {1,1,2, 2,4}= {1, 2, 4} is a set of 3 numbers!
    If you mean something else do not use the word "set".

7. Sep 22, 2007 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The result holds for sets. daniel_i_l's point was surely that the result naturally extends to multisets.

8. Sep 22, 2007 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

work mod n. given n numbers, (integers), if we sum the first k of them, for k = 1,.....,n, and we get n different numbers mod n, then one of them is congruent to n. done.

if on the other hand two different sums have the same sum mod n , then subtracting them, gives a sum congr'uent to zero mod n. done again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?