Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A cool question

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Prove that for every set of n numbers has a subset whose sum is divisible by n. I found this result very interesting. It's also fun to prove!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2
    Must these numbers be in sequence? Like {4,5,6,7,8}, or could it be any set like {1,10}?

EDIT: Never mind...that was a silly question.

4. Sep 22, 2007 #3
    can this subset be 1 number? or does it have to be summable?

5. Sep 22, 2007 #4

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Both the set and subset can be any not emty set. But I forgot to mention that numbers can repeat themselves so that in this case {1,1,2,2,4} is a "set" of 5 numbers and to answer ices's question, {1} is a subset of it.

6. Sep 22, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that is NOT a "set" of 5 numbers! {1,1,2, 2,4}= {1, 2, 4} is a set of 3 numbers!
    If you mean something else do not use the word "set".

7. Sep 22, 2007 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The result holds for sets. daniel_i_l's point was surely that the result naturally extends to multisets.

8. Sep 22, 2007 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

work mod n. given n numbers, (integers), if we sum the first k of them, for k = 1,.....,n, and we get n different numbers mod n, then one of them is congruent to n. done.

if on the other hand two different sums have the same sum mod n , then subtracting them, gives a sum congr'uent to zero mod n. done again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?