1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A couple circuit problems

1. Jan 30, 2005 #1
    1. For this picture.. Calculate the potential at point D.

2. I 15-V battery is connected to three capacitors in series. The capacitors have the following capacitances: 4.5microFarads, 12.0microFarads, and 32microFarads. Find the voltage across the 32microFarad capacitor.

I am so lost. :frown:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2005 #2
    Please? I'm desperate!
  4. Jan 31, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

I couldn't open your first picture... I get a "server not found" message.

For the second one... first find the equivalent total capacitance (combine 3 capacitors in series). The find the total charge on this equivalent capacitor.

You should then be able to get the charge on each capacitor (hint: this is really simple... if you are unsure read your textbook regarding combining series and parallel capacitors), and then get the voltage on each capacitor.
  5. Jan 31, 2005 #4
  6. Jan 31, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

New link doesn't work either.
  7. Jan 31, 2005 #6
    I'll attatch it.

Attached Files:

8. Jan 31, 2005 #7

Homework Helper

Hmmm... absolute potential can't be calculated unless there's ground assigned somewhere. But I don't see one on the circuit. Are you sure the question asks for potential at D and not potential difference between 2 different points? Does the question mention about 0 volts being assigned somehwere?
  9. Jan 31, 2005 #8
    Sorry. It says point A is grounded (V=0).
  10. Jan 31, 2005 #9

Homework Helper

ok cool. So first find the current I in the circuit using KVL. So then you can get all the voltage drops across all the resistors (voltage drop across a resistor=current*resistance). Using that you should be able to find the potential at D. Be careful with signs!!

Hope this helps!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?