Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A couple circuit problems

1. Jan 30, 2005 #1
    1. For http://www.pen.eiu.edu/~cuemc4/circuit.bmp [Broken] picture.. Calculate the potential at point D.

2. I 15-V battery is connected to three capacitors in series. The capacitors have the following capacitances: 4.5microFarads, 12.0microFarads, and 32microFarads. Find the voltage across the 32microFarad capacitor.

I am so lost. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2005 #2
    Please? I'm desperate!

4. Jan 31, 2005 #3

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I couldn't open your first picture... I get a "server not found" message.

For the second one... first find the equivalent total capacitance (combine 3 capacitors in series). The find the total charge on this equivalent capacitor.

You should then be able to get the charge on each capacitor (hint: this is really simple... if you are unsure read your textbook regarding combining series and parallel capacitors), and then get the voltage on each capacitor.

5. Jan 31, 2005 #4
    http://www.pen.eiu.edu/~cuemc4/circuit.bmp [Broken]

That might work. Mak sure you're soomed in all the way or it wont look right. Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  6. Jan 31, 2005 #5

learningphysics

Homework Helper

New link doesn't work either.

7. Jan 31, 2005 #6
    I'll attatch it.

Attached Files:

8. Jan 31, 2005 #7

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Hmmm... absolute potential can't be calculated unless there's ground assigned somewhere. But I don't see one on the circuit. Are you sure the question asks for potential at D and not potential difference between 2 different points? Does the question mention about 0 volts being assigned somehwere?

9. Jan 31, 2005 #8
    Sorry. It says point A is grounded (V=0).

10. Jan 31, 2005 #9

learningphysics

Homework Helper

ok cool. So first find the current I in the circuit using KVL. So then you can get all the voltage drops across all the resistors (voltage drop across a resistor=current*resistance). Using that you should be able to find the potential at D. Be careful with signs!!

Hope this helps!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook