1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A couple Discrete Math Questions

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    For the first question it deals with onto functions I was able to do a-e which deals with actal numbers. Then questions E stumped me. I have no idea what to do or even how to start. It reads:

Let C (n,m) be the number of onto functions from a set of m elements to a set of n elements, where m > n > 1 (All of those are greater than or equal to signs). Find a formula relating C (n,m) to C (m-1,n) and C (m-1,n-1).

The second question deals with relations on a Cartesian product of A. A is a set with 8 elements. I was able to figure out that there are 2^64 relations total and 2^8 are reflexive while 2^36 are symmetric. However how many are both reflexive and symmetric? The question reads:

A is a set with eight elements.
    How many relations on A are both reflexive and symmetric?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even a point in the right direction would help. But like I said I am stuck and have almost no clue on what to do for either problem.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?