How Do You Solve Challenging Physics Problems in Nuclear Engineering Interviews?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's upcoming interviews for the Nuclear Engineering program with the Navy. They mention struggling with two energy problems from a study guide, one involving a block on an inclined plane and the other involving a cannon at a 45 degree angle. They ask for help and are advised to refer to an introductory physics text for a better understanding.
beuller34
Hi all, I have my interviews coming up in a bit to get into the Nuclear Engineering program with the Navy, and on one of the study guides, I was faced with these two simple energy problems, but could not figure them out for the life of me! (I graduated with my B.S. in Chemical Engineering, so I haven't taken physics in about 4 years... haha). They both sound something like this:

1. Given a block on an inclined plane with angle alpha, friction coefficient u, and the block moving with initial speed vo up the block. Draw the free body diagram, find the acceleration of the block, and determine how far the block will travel up the ramp before stopping.

2. You are given a cannon stuck at a 45 degree angle with the ground. You are 10m above the spot you want to hit and 1000m away. What muzzle velocity do you need to hit the target given a 1kg projectile? Say the projectile is faulty and doesn't explode, how much energy will the projectile have upon hitting the ground?

Any help on these would be greatly appreciated... Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just open any introductory physics text...studying these two problems will not give you the broad based physics you'll need for the next two questions...

1. What are some common energy problems faced by couples?

Some common energy problems faced by couples include differences in energy levels, mismatched sleep schedules, struggles with household chores, and disagreements over how to spend leisure time.

2. How can couples address differences in energy levels?

Couples can address differences in energy levels by communicating openly and finding a compromise that works for both partners. This may include setting designated times for activities that require high energy levels and prioritizing rest and self-care.

3. What can couples do to manage mismatched sleep schedules?

To manage mismatched sleep schedules, couples can try to find a compromise by adjusting bedtime routines, using white noise or earplugs to block out noise, and creating a comfortable sleep environment for both partners. They can also consider seeking professional help if the issue persists.

4. How can couples divide household chores fairly?

Couples can divide household chores fairly by openly discussing their expectations and responsibilities, creating a chore schedule, and being willing to help each other out when needed. It is also important to communicate and address any imbalances or issues that arise.

5. What are some strategies for managing disagreements over leisure time?

Some strategies for managing disagreements over leisure time include setting aside designated times for individual and shared activities, being open to trying new things, and actively listening to each other's preferences and needs. It is also important for couples to respect each other's boundaries and find a balance between alone time and quality time together.