What is the Laplace inverse of F(s) = [3*e^(-4s)] / [s*(s^2 + s + 5/4)]?

In summary, the Laplace inverse of the given functions are e^(3t), e^(-3s), and 12/5*e^(-t/2) + [-3/5]*(cos(sqrt(5)*t/2)+sin(sqrt(5)*t/2)/sqrt(5)).
Yura

Homework Statement

just a small part of a large problem ><a I am not even sure if this is in the right place. the first two questions i have to ask are really minor so i didnt want to make separate threads for each one. the third one is an actual problem itself tho.

(1) i need the laplace inverse of :
[s^2]/[s^2 - 3^2]
-solved, there was an error at the start that threw the rest of my eqn off. there is no s^2

(2) laplace transformation of:
u(t-3)
- solved

(3) find laplace inverse of:
F(s) = [3*e^(-4s)] / [s*(s^2 + s + 5/4)]

Homework Equations

for the second one, the u comes from working with time intervals using the second shift theorem
which is: (L(g(t - k)u(t - k)) = e^(-k*s)*G(s)
where G(s) is the laplace transform of of g(t)
the third question also uses

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first one, i have no idea of how to even look at this because I've been using a laplace conversion sheet to solve them all up until now. the only laplace transformation I've seen with s^2 in the numerator looks just like the problem i have here but the intire denominator is squared awell.. other than that i can't find a laplace transform to matchit. -solved

the second one seems simple enough but I am stuck. it was originally part of another function i had to laplace, but it was too complicated to laplace as it was and i singled that much out. the original term was:

(t - 2)u(t - 3) and so i broke this into smaller terms so thati could use the second shifting theorem on one of the termsand got:

(t - 3)u(t - 3) + u(t - 3)
[im leaving out the multiplication "*" signs so its easier to look at]

then that laplaced to:

e^(-3*s)/[s^2] + [the laplace of the second term]

im not quite sure whether this just counts as one and laplaces to (1/s) or something.
-solved

for question three i took out the e and its power because the -4*s would be used for the second shifting theorem. leaving 3/[s*(s^2 + s + 5/4)]

from here i tried to use partial fractions on the equation to make it easier, but i keep ending up getting 2 different values for my first variable.

also with the (s^2 + s + 5/4) i perfected the square to:
[(s + 1/2)^2 + 1]

if i could work the partial fraction for this, i might beable to solve the laplace inverses for the single terms, using the laplace transformation chart. so the main problem is the partial fraction.
i had to "un-perfect the square" to make this part easier

what i have for that is:
3/[s*(s^2 + s + 5/4)] = A/s + B*(s^2 + s + 5/4)
3/[s*(s^2 + s + 5/4)] = [A*(s^2 + s + 5/4) + B*s] / [s*(s^2 + s + 5/4)]
3 = A*(s^2 + s + 5/4) + B*s
3 = A*s^2 + A*s + A*5/4 + B*s
3 = A*s^2 + (A+B)*s + A*5/4

this is what is giving me two separate values for A,
where due to the first term, A must equal zero.
but due to the second term A must equal to 12/5.

thanks if you can help

edit: i clicked off of the form without realising and accidentally submit. i think.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to (1) is that there is no s^2 in the denominator, so it is just 1/[s^2 - 3^2]. The Laplace inverse of this is e^(3t). For (2), the Laplace transform of u(t-3) is e^(-3s). For (3), using partial fractions, we can write F(s) = 3/[s*(s^2 + s + 5/4)] = A/s + B*(s^2 + s + 5/4)Multiplying both sides by s*(s^2 + s + 5/4) gives 3 = A*(s^2 + s + 5/4) + B*sSubstituting s = 0 yields B = -3/5. Substituting s = -1/2 yields A = 12/5. Therefore, F(s) = [12/5]/s + [-3/5]*(s^2 + s + 5/4) The Laplace inverse of F(s) is 12/5*e^(-t/2) + [-3/5]*(cos(sqrt(5)*t/2)+sin(sqrt(5)*t/2)/sqrt(5)).

What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation used to transform a function in the time domain into a function in the complex frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

How do you perform a Laplace transform?

To perform a Laplace transform, you integrate the function with respect to time multiplied by e^(-st), where s is a complex variable. The result is a function in the complex frequency domain.

What is the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is the mathematical operation used to transform a function in the complex frequency domain back into the time domain. It is the reverse process of the Laplace transform.

What are some applications of Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms have many applications in physics and engineering, such as solving differential equations, analyzing systems, and calculating steady-state responses of systems. They are also used in signal processing and control theory.

What are the advantages of using Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms have several advantages, including simplifying differential equations into algebraic equations, allowing for the use of algebraic manipulation techniques, and providing a graphical representation of a system's behavior in the complex frequency domain.