How Do You Solve These Challenging Physics Problems?

• Thread starter TJ the Tornado
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary: I first converted the mph to m/s since that is how acceleration is expressed and then i got stuck...4.A car starts from rest and travels for 10.0 s with a uniform acceleration of +1.8 m/s2. The driver then applies the brakes, causing a uniform acceleration of -1.0 m/s2. If the brakes are applied for 1.0 s, How far has it gone? -I am not sure where to go when looking for displacement in this situation
TJ the Tornado
ok this is a new subject and my teacher is just horrible, so any help will be great thanks

1. One cubic centimeter (1.0 cm3) of water has a mass of 1.0 e-3 kg. Determine the mass of 1.0 m3 of water (in kg).
-I thought you would take the 1.0 e-3 kg and multiply it by 100 since you are going from centimeters to meters.

2. Assuming biological substances are 98% water, estimate the masses of a cell with a diameter of 1.3 µm, a human kidney, and a fly. Take a kidney to be roughly a sphere with a radius of 3.5 cm and a fly to be roughly a cylinder 3.7 mm long and 1.1 mm in diameter.
-For this problem i used the conversion factors where 1.3 µm equals 1e-6 meters, and 3.5cm equals .0035 meters, and 1.1 mm equals .00011 meters and then used the volume formulas for each shape...

3.A driver in a car traveling at a speed of 60 mi/h sees a deer 100 m away on the road. Calculate the minimum constant acceleration that is necessary for the car to stop without hitting the deer (assuming that the deer does not move in the meantime).
-I first converted the mph to m/s since that is how acceleration is expressed and then i got stuck...

4.A car starts from rest and travels for 10.0 s with a uniform acceleration of +1.8 m/s2. The driver then applies the brakes, causing a uniform acceleration of -1.0 m/s2. If the brakes are applied for 1.0 s, How far has it gone?
-I am not sure where to go when looking for displacement in this situation

5.A ball is thrown vertically upward with a speed of 11.0 m/s,
(a) How high does it rise
(b) How long does it take to reach its highest point
(c) How long does the ball take to hit the ground after it reaches its highest point
(d) What is its velocity when it returns to the level from which it started?
-I started the class late and never received any formulas for questions such as these...

6.A ball is thrown upward from the ground with an initial speed of 30 m/s; at the same instant, another ball is dropped from a building 5 m high. After how long will the balls be at the same height
-same for this one...

7. Two people are pulling a objest with separate ropes, one (F1) at an angle of 75 with magnitude 130 and the other (F2) at angle 60 and magnitude 80
(a)Find the single force that is equivalent to the two forces shown, direction and magnitude
(b)Find the force that a third person would have to exert on the mule to make the net force equal to zero, direction and magnitude
- I only know how to do this when they are back to front vectors

8. brick is thrown upward from the top of a building at an angle of 25° to the horizontal and with an initial speed of 10 m/s. If the brick is in flight for 3.1 s, how tall is the building?
-dont know where to begin

9.A jet airliner moving initially at 300 mi/h due east enters a region where the wind is blowing at 110 mi/h in a direction 25.0° north of east. What is the new velocity of the aircraft relative to the ground?
-dont know where to begin

-I know there is a lot, but i just don't understand these problems, ANY help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your teacher is "horrible"? Meaning, I presume, that you can't be bothered to actually pay attention to him!

1. One cubic centimeter (1.0 cm3) of water has a mass of 1.0 e-3 kg. Determine the mass of 1.0 m3 of water (in kg).
-I thought you would take the 1.0 e-3 kg and multiply it by 100 since you are going from centimeters to meters.
No, because no one said anything about meters. How may cubic meterse there in 1.0 m3?

2. Assuming biological substances are 98% water, estimate the masses of a cell with a diameter of 1.3 µm, a human kidney, and a fly. Take a kidney to be roughly a sphere with a radius of 3.5 cm and a fly to be roughly a cylinder 3.7 mm long and 1.1 mm in diameter.
-For this problem i used the conversion factors where 1.3 µm equals 1e-6 meters, and 3.5cm equals .0035 meters, and 1.1 mm equals .00011 meters and then used the volume formulas for each shape...
You have a serious problem with the difference between linear measures and measures of area or volume, don't you?

3.A driver in a car traveling at a speed of 60 mi/h sees a deer 100 m away on the road. Calculate the minimum constant acceleration that is necessary for the car to stop without hitting the deer (assuming that the deer does not move in the meantime).
-I first converted the mph to m/s since that is how acceleration is expressed and then i got stuck...
Was it the arithmetic that cause the problem? You know that x= (1/2)at2+ v0t+ x0 don't you?

you'd better try to talk with your teacher ...
if you think a "couple" problems is 9!

You should get help with vector components ASAP,
the algebra functions can wait till next week.

3.5 cm = 35 mm = 35e-3 m (don't let the cm throw you)

1. What are the main goals of studying "A couple of new problems"?

The main goals of studying "A couple of new problems" are to identify and understand these problems, determine their causes, and develop potential solutions to address them.

2. How do "A couple of new problems" affect society?

"A couple of new problems" can have a wide range of impacts on society, depending on the specific problems. They can affect various aspects of our daily lives, such as health, economy, environment, and social dynamics.

3. What methods are used to study "A couple of new problems"?

There are various methods used to study "A couple of new problems," including data collection and analysis, experiments, surveys, and case studies. Different approaches may be used depending on the nature of the problems and the available resources.

4. Can "A couple of new problems" be solved?

Yes, "A couple of new problems" can be solved through scientific research and innovation. By understanding the root causes of these problems, scientists can develop effective solutions to mitigate or eliminate them.

5. What are some current "A couple of new problems" that scientists are studying?

Some current "A couple of new problems" that scientists are studying include climate change, biodiversity loss, antibiotic resistance, and artificial intelligence ethics. These are complex and interconnected issues that require interdisciplinary approaches to address them.