1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A couple of optics questions

1. Sep 9, 2003 #1
    1. Imagine that you are standing 5 ft from and looking directly toward, a brass ball 1 foot in diameterhanging in front of a pawn shop. Describe the image you would see in the ball.

-Would I have to find the an answer that tells me that it is inverted, real, virtual, etc?

2. What formula would I useto find the radius of curvature? if the magnification of a keratometer is found to be 0.037X when the object distance is se at 100 mm, what is the radius of curvature?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2003 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Mirror problems are a little difficult to do in a forum. It really helps to have a picture. I highly suggest you do a google search on convex mirrors and look at the examples done in your physics book. For this types of problems DRAW A PICTURE and make sure you label everything

The equation you would use is
    1/s' + 1/s = 1/f where 1/f = 2/R

R is the radius of curvature
    f is the focus
    s is the distance from your eye to the front of the mirror
    s' is the distance from the front of the mirror to the image (may it be real or virtual)

m = -s'/s where m is the magnification

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?