Conservation of Momentum in Collisions

• Thread starter TheHamburgler1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a person is riding a sled with a constant velocity and momentum, but suddenly their friend bails off the sled. The question asks which of the given options is a correct possibility for the final momenta of the friend, the person, and the sled, assuming there are no net external forces acting on the system. The answer to the question is option b, where the person's momentum remains the same as before while the sled's momentum becomes negative. The subsequent question discusses the conservation of momentum in elastic and inelastic collisions and concludes that momentum is constant in both cases if no external forces are present. The conversation ends with a counter-question about which system is not experiencing external forces in this scenario.
TheHamburgler1
I have no idea how to do this first one

1. Youre coasting with a friend on a sled, going a constant velocity, having a momentum of +120kg m/s when suddenly your friend bails off the sled. Assuming there are no net external forces acting on the system which of the following gives a correct possibility for the final momenta for first your friend, then you and the sled?

a) -50 kg m/s, +170 kg m/s
b) -50 kg m/s, +120kg m/s
c) -50 kg m/s, -70 kg m/s
d) +70 kg m/s, -50 kg m/s
e) +120 kg m/s, -50 kg m/s

my other question: Is momentum conserved in both elastic and inelastic collisions or only elastic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Counter-question:
If a system is not experiencing any EXTERNAL forces, what can you say about the system's momentum?

It's constant right

This therefore means that the answer has to be B right? Because therefore the momentum for the sled is the same or am I wrong?

TheHamburgler1 said:
This therefore means that the answer has to be B right? Because therefore the momentum for the sled is the same or am I wrong?
What system is NOT experiencing external forces in this cases?

Is it:
i) You
ii) You+sled
iii) Sled
iv) Sled+friend
vii) Friend+you
viii) Friend
ix) You+Friend+Sled

What is the meaning of "A couple of questions"?

"A couple of questions" typically refers to two or more questions that are being asked in a conversation or discussion. It can also imply that the questions being asked are related or connected in some way.

How many questions are considered "a couple"?

The term "a couple" usually refers to two questions, but it can also be used to describe a small number of questions that are not necessarily two. It is a colloquial term and can vary in interpretation.

Can "a couple of questions" be used in a formal setting?

Yes, "a couple of questions" can be used in a formal setting. It is a commonly used phrase and is appropriate in both casual and formal conversations. However, it is always best to use formal language and avoid colloquialisms in certain professional settings.

How should I respond to someone saying "a couple of questions"?

As a scientist, it is important to actively listen and engage in conversations. When someone says "a couple of questions", you can respond by asking them to clarify or provide more information about the questions they have. This shows that you are interested and willing to engage in a discussion.

Is "a couple of questions" a specific number or range of questions?

No, "a couple of questions" is not a specific number or range of questions. It is a vague term that is often used to refer to a small number of questions. The actual number can vary depending on the context and interpretation. It is always best to ask for clarification if the number of questions is important.