Applying to Bachelor in Physics: Should I Stay or Go?

• Thread starter sony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, the speaker is interested in pursuing a physics program at a university with no grade limitations. The university has exchange programs with prestigious schools in Germany and the US. The speaker is not interested in becoming a theoretical physicist and is considering a master's program in Micro Electronics. They are uncertain about their future career path but are interested in developing technology and potentially working in a corporate setting. They are unsure whether to apply to top schools in the US or stay in their home country. They are also unsure about their chances of succeeding in a physics program, as they do not excel easily in math and physics.
sony
I have applied to a physics program (bachelor) at a university where i live. The program is "open", there are no grade limitations (it's the same most places in Norway - studying science is not that popular).

But as far as I've understood, the university is good. They have exchange programs with the univ. of Heidelberg and Washington.

But... I don't want to become a "physicist". The university has a master's program in Micro Electronics (a physics bachelor leads to this). That is something I'm interested in - something practically, where I can develop stuff. What I mean is that I don't want to become a pure theoretical physicist...

Should I have a goal to get an excellent bachelor and apply to some the top schools in the US, as opposed to stay here? Can I have a "succesfull" life nontheless? I plan to do more than my best when the studies begin, so should I give it a try?

Can I get somewhat of an engineer's degree (in electronics and such) with a physics bachelor?

I'm not the person who easily "aces" everything i math and physics. But I can get decent grades when working very hard... (decent grades that is). Do I have a chance of surviving such an education?

I don't have a clear picture of what I see myself doing after I'm finished in school. I want to participate in developing things. Electronic chips maybe, and having the ability to excel in ranks (corporate wise)...

I'm sorry if this post is a little unstructured. But I'm so uncertain, I almost doubt every decision I make. What bugs me is that I'm so uncertain, anything in technology is interesting (not chemistry, biology and medicine). But the number of fields are immense!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are planning to go beyond a BS in physics then you might look at a US school. If jobs are good in Norway in that field you might as well stay there. You might transfer to make more connections though. However if you feel job prospects are better in the US and would like to live here then go for the transfer.

I can provide some general information that may help you make your decision.

Firstly, it's great that you have applied to a physics program and are considering your options. It's important to remember that your bachelor's degree is just the starting point of your educational journey, and you still have the opportunity to specialize and focus on a specific area in your master's program. So even if you choose to pursue a physics degree, you can still have the opportunity to study microelectronics in your master's program.

You mentioned that you do not want to become a pure theoretical physicist, and that is completely understandable. However, it's important to note that even within the field of physics, there are many different paths and career options. You can become an experimental physicist, a computational physicist, or even a physicist who works in industry developing new technologies. So don't let your fear of becoming a theoretical physicist hold you back from pursuing a physics degree.

It's also worth considering the opportunities that studying abroad can provide. As you mentioned, the university you have applied to has exchange programs with top universities in Germany and the US. Studying abroad can not only provide you with a different educational experience but also open up new career opportunities and expand your network.

In terms of your question about getting an engineer's degree with a physics bachelor, it is possible to work in engineering with a physics degree, but it may require additional coursework or on-the-job training. It's important to research the specific requirements for the field you are interested in to determine if a physics degree would be sufficient.

Lastly, it's completely normal to feel uncertain about your future and career path. It's important to explore your interests and passions and keep an open mind as you continue your education. You may find that your interests and goals change as you gain more knowledge and experience in your studies. The most important thing is to work hard and be dedicated to your studies, and the rest will fall into place. Best of luck with your decision!

1. What are the benefits of staying in my home country for my Bachelor in Physics degree?

Staying in your home country for your Bachelor in Physics degree can have several benefits. First, you may have access to more scholarship opportunities and financial aid options as a domestic student. Additionally, you may already have a strong support system in your home country, which can be helpful during your studies. You may also have a better understanding of the culture and language, making it easier to adapt to university life.

2. What are the advantages of studying abroad for my Bachelor in Physics?

Studying abroad for your Bachelor in Physics can provide a unique and enriching experience. You will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a different culture, learn a new language, and gain a global perspective. Additionally, studying abroad can enhance your resume and make you more competitive in the job market. You may also have access to cutting-edge research facilities and internationally renowned professors.

3. How can I decide whether to stay in my home country or study abroad for my Bachelor in Physics?

This decision ultimately depends on your personal goals and preferences. Consider factors such as your financial situation, career aspirations, and comfort level with living in a different country. It may also be helpful to research the specific programs and universities you are interested in to determine which option aligns best with your academic and career goals.

4. Will studying abroad for my Bachelor in Physics be more expensive than staying in my home country?

Studying abroad can potentially be more expensive, as you may have to pay for international tuition fees and living expenses. However, there are often scholarship opportunities and financial aid options available for international students. It is important to carefully research and compare the costs of different programs to determine the best financial option for you.

5. How will studying abroad for my Bachelor in Physics affect my future career prospects?

Studying abroad for your Bachelor in Physics can have a positive impact on your future career prospects. It shows potential employers that you are adaptable, independent, and have a global perspective. Additionally, studying abroad can provide valuable networking opportunities and may even lead to job opportunities in the country where you studied. However, it is important to consider the job market and requirements in your home country as well, as some employers may prefer candidates with a domestic degree.