A couple of statics questions

In summary, the conversation is about solving two statics assignment problems. The first problem involves determining the couple required to hold a system in equilibrium, while the second problem involves a double toggle mechanism used in a punching machine. The conversation includes links to diagrams and equations, and the participants discuss different approaches to solving the problems.
Aaron
Hi, I have a couple of questions from a statics assignment that I'm in need of help on. Here's what I have so far:

http://216.170.11.226/pub/6131.jpg

Two rods are connected by a slider block as shown. Neglecting the effect of friction, determine the couple Ma required to hold the system in equilibrium.

And this is what I believe the forces are:

http://216.170.11.226/pub/6131-2.jpg

It would seem to me that the external forces are irrelevant to this problem, but I'm guessing not. What I came up with for this problem is:

Sum of moments about B=0 => -25+Nd*271.89=0 => Nd=0.0919
Sum of moments about A=0 => -.0919*150+Ma=0 => Ma=13.79 N*m

I know the answer is Ma=15.22 N*m. I'm guessing that I also need to consider external forces or something.

The next problem is

http://216.170.11.226/pub/6129.jpg

The double toggle mechanism shown is used in a punching machine. Knowing that the links AB and BC are each of length 150 mm, determine the couple M required to hold the system in equilibrium when Phi=20 (degrees).

Once again, my analysis of the problem is:

http://216.170.11.226/pub/6129-2.jpg

Obvious things are:
Dy+Ey+Ay+800=0
Dx+Ex+Ax=0

sum of moments about B of AB=0 => M+By*150*cos(30)+Bx*150*sin(30)=0

Since AB is a two-force body, Bx=B*cos(30), By=B*sin(30) and A=-B.

B'x=-Bx
B'y=-By
Cx=C*cos(30)
Cy=C*sin(30)
sum of moments about C of BC=0 => -B'x*150*sin(30)+By*150*cos(30)=0
sum of moments about B of BC=0 => -Cy*150*cos(30)+Cx*150*sin(30)=0

And so on and so forth. If I continue in this manner I figure I'll end up with something around 24 equations, there has got to be a simplier method. Any idea what that might be?

Any hints or help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
-Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, the first problem is easy, I just forgot to get a perpendicular distance to the force, so it works fine now.

As for the second problem, I was thinking about just balancing the Fx, Fy, Ma, Md, and Me, but that doesn't seem to work either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is [tex]N_D[/tex] supposed to be an applied force in that drawing?

Can you list the terms you have for the net forces, and net torques, and which point they are about?

Sorry, [tex]N_D[/tex] was an internal force from the collar. Thanks anyway, but I managed to figure this one out.

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and their effects on its equilibrium.

2. What are the main principles of statics?

The main principles of statics include the concept of equilibrium, which states that an object at rest or in constant motion will remain in that state unless acted upon by external forces. Other principles include the laws of motion and the concept of center of mass.

3. How is statics used in real life?

Statics is used in many fields, such as engineering, architecture, and physics, to analyze and design structures and machines. It is also used in everyday life, such as in the design of furniture, bridges, and buildings.

4. What are some common applications of statics?

Some common applications of statics include determining the stability and load-bearing capacity of structures, analyzing the forces acting on bridges and buildings, and designing machines and mechanical systems.

5. What skills are needed to study statics?

To study statics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It also requires critical thinking skills and the ability to visualize and analyze complex systems and structures.