A couple questions i CANT figure out?

In summary, the tension in the cord connecting boxes B and C is 10.5 kg*g*22/25.5=88.9 N. The box A moves 0.250 s.
HobieDude16
HELP! pulley problems, can't figure formula out...

ok, for physics here at uf, there are 2 problems in this homework i just can't figure out, and I am sure I am just being stupid, but can anyone help me? here they are...

In Figure 5-50, three ballot boxes are connected by cords, one of which wraps over a pulley having negligible friction on its axle and negligible mass. The masses are mA = 22.0 kg, mB = 40.0 kg, mC = 18.0 kg.

Fig. 5-50
W0084-N.jpg

(a) When the assembly is released from rest, what is the tension in the cord that connects boxes B and C?
N
(b) How far does box A move in the first 0.250 s (assuming it does not reach the pulley)?
m

and the other is

Figure 5-55 shows three blocks attached by cords that loop over frictionless pulleys. Block B lies on a frictionless table; the masses are mA = 7.00 kg, mB = 8.00 kg, mC = 10.5 kg. When the blocks are released, what is the tension in the cord at the right?
N

W0080-N.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i tried for about 3 hours to get these, but i can't seem to figure out what formulas to use, does anyone have any ideas?

I have the same problems lol, and no clue how to do them either. I hope someone can help. :)

yeah, i can't figure it out, but apparently nobody else on this board can either, nor any of my friends... so i don't think I am going to be able to figure them out

Yeah no one i know can solve these problems either.

ha, i got the help from a car forum... funny how a car forum would help me before a physics help forum...!

how did you do it?

Actually, if you both show your work... then people will be more willing to help out!. Remember we're not here to do your homework, but we will gladly provide hints, so you can do it.

Last edited:
ah, well, i just asked for some formulas that yall thought would work, not to just give me the answers... which is what the other forum did, and i figured out how to use them, and got the answer!

With the same argument I used in the first one, calcualte the acceleration of the system, do a free body diagram of the body supported by the string in question. In b)

F = ma = (-7kg+10.5kg) *g = 3.5g

Total mass = 25.5 kg

So acceleration of system = g*3.5/25.5

Thus with a downward force of mg on block C (10.5kg) the rest of the force is the tension = 10.5kg*g*22/25.5 = 88.9N

thats how they explained the 2nd one to me, makes a lot of sense when you think about it... and yeah, that's using the numbers from my problem, so if yours are different, change them

As for rate of acceleration, the same applies. The driving force is the unsupported mass, i.e. (Mass B + Mass C)*g, but its actually accelerating an additonal mass that is not falling also, so it doesn't accelerate at g.

Acceleration = Force/Mass = (Mass B + Mass C)*g / (Total Mass)

= g * 58/80

Then s=ut+0.5*a*t^2 and u = 0

Distance traveled with t = 0.250s...

s = 0.5 * accelerationfromabove * 0.250^2 = 0.22m

theres part b of the first one

i think this is part a too
We know my g*58/80 is the correct acceleration because it answered section b. Think of block C as a free body diagram. It has force mg downwards obviously, but is only moving downwards at g*58/80. Therefore IT MUST have an upward force of mg*22/80 provided by the string to make it balance.
k, I am leaving now, hope it helps

hey, hobie, i got same problem, i figure out part b, but wat about part a, i am still confuse about it, thx.

1. What is the scientific method and how does it apply to "A couple questions i CANT figure out?"

The scientific method is a systematic approach to investigating and understanding the world around us. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. When faced with a couple of questions that cannot be figured out, the scientific method can be used to systematically gather and analyze information in order to arrive at a solution or explanation.

2. Can you give an example of how the scientific method can be applied to "A couple questions i CANT figure out?"

For example, if someone is trying to figure out why a certain plant in their garden is not growing, they can use the scientific method. They can make observations about the plant's environment, form a hypothesis about what may be causing the plant's stunted growth, conduct experiments by changing different variables (such as amount of sunlight or type of soil), analyze the data collected, and draw conclusions about the true cause of the plant's growth issue.

3. How can critical thinking help in solving "A couple questions i CANT figure out?"

Critical thinking is the process of analyzing and evaluating information in a logical and systematic manner. It involves questioning assumptions, considering alternative perspectives, and making evidence-based judgments. When faced with a couple of questions that cannot be figured out, critical thinking can help by breaking down the problem into smaller parts, examining each part critically, and using reasoning to come up with a solution or explanation.

4. Why is collaboration important in the scientific process of solving "A couple questions i CANT figure out?"

Collaboration is important in the scientific process because it allows for the exchange of ideas, perspectives, and knowledge. When faced with difficult questions, working with others can bring in fresh insights and help to identify blind spots. Collaborating with others who have different expertise and backgrounds can also lead to more comprehensive and well-rounded solutions to the problem.

5. How can trial and error be used to solve "A couple questions i CANT figure out?"

Trial and error is a problem-solving approach in which different attempts are made to find a solution. It involves trying different methods and observing the results until a successful outcome is achieved. When faced with a couple of questions that cannot be figured out, trial and error can be a useful tool in the scientific process. It allows for the exploration of different possibilities and can lead to unexpected insights or solutions.