A couple waves questions that my class can't get

In summary, when four people with a combined mass of 280 kg sit down in a car, they find that the car drops 1.00 cm lower on its springs. Then they get out of the car and bounce it up and down. The frequency of the car's vibration if its mass (empty) is 2.0 x 10^3 kg is 1.5 Hz.
Sny
A mass of 0.39 kg connected to a light spring with a spring constant of 22.2 N/m oscillates on a frictionless horizontal surface. If the spring is compressed 4.0 cm and released from rest, determine the following.

(a) the maximum speed of the mass

(b) the speed of the mass when the spring is compressed 1.5 cm

(c) the speed of the mass when the spring is stretched 1.5 cm

(d) For what value of x does the speed equal one-half the maximum speed?

When four people with a combined mass of 280 kg sit down in a car, they find that the car drops 1.00 cm lower on its springs. Then they get out of the car and bounce it up and down. What is the frequency of the car's vibration if its mass (empty) is 2.0 x 10^3 kg?

I don't even know where to start on these, so all I'm asking for is a nudge in the right direction, possibly some formulas or reading material.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sny said:
A mass of 0.39 kg connected to a light spring with a spring constant of 22.2 N/m oscillates on a frictionless horizontal surface. If the spring is compressed 4.0 cm and released from rest, determine the following.

(a) the maximum speed of the mass

(b) the speed of the mass when the spring is compressed 1.5 cm

(c) the speed of the mass when the spring is stretched 1.5 cm

(d) For what value of x does the speed equal one-half the maximum speed?

When four people with a combined mass of 280 kg sit down in a car, they find that the car drops 1.00 cm lower on its springs. Then they get out of the car and bounce it up and down. What is the frequency of the car's vibration if its mass (empty) is 2.0 x 10^3 kg?

I don't even know where to start on these, so all I'm asking for is a nudge in the right direction, possibly some formulas or reading material.

These are problems dealing with simple harmonic motion (s.h.m.) and springs. You'll need to read up on those.

Actually all the formulae you will need are :

[tex]\ddot x = -\omega^2 x[/tex] (s.h.m.)

[tex]F = -kx[/tex] (springs)

Find out what those formulae mean, and we'll go from there.

Last edited:
(a) I suggest to use the law of energy conservation: in all points of the trajectory, the total energy must be the same:
(1) [tex] E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}kx^2=const. [/tex]
I suggest to apply Eq. (1) between the extreme point and the middle one.

(b, c, d) play with Eq. (1) for different points of the trajectory and show us what you obtain!

For the second problem, try to find the equivalent elastic constant of the car suspension with
(2) [tex]Mg=kx[/tex]
and then the frequence of oscillations with
(3) [tex]2\pi \nu=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]
([tex]M[/tex]-combined mass of people, [tex]m[/tex] - mass of the car without people)

Last edited:

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy without permanently displacing the particles of the medium. It can be described as a pattern of oscillation or vibration.

2. How are waves classified?

Waves can be classified based on their direction of movement, their shape, and the medium they travel through. They can be transverse or longitudinal, and can be mechanical or electromagnetic.

3. What is the difference between amplitude and wavelength?

Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of a wave from its resting position, while wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on a wave that are in phase with each other.

4. What is the speed of a wave?

The speed of a wave depends on the properties of the medium it travels through. In a vacuum, electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light (3 x 10^8 meters per second), while the speed of sound waves depends on the temperature, humidity, and composition of the medium.

5. How do waves interact with each other?

When waves meet, they can interfere with each other, resulting in either constructive or destructive interference. In constructive interference, the waves combine to form a larger amplitude, while in destructive interference, the waves cancel each other out.