1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A crate is pulled by a force (parallel to the incline) up a rough incline. The crate

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    A crate is pulled by a force (parallel to the
    incline) up a rough incline. The crate has an
    initial speed shown in the figure below. The
    crate is pulled a distance of 9.17 m on the
    incline by a 150 N force.
    The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
    a) What is the change in kinetic energy of
    the crate?
    Answer in units of J

b) What is the speed of the crate after it is
    pulled the 9.17 m?
    Answer in units of m/s

For part A i tried
    F-mg[sin theta - (friction x cos theta)] and got 135.232 but got wrong answer then i tried multiplying it by the distance and got it wrong.
    Also i tried using F - [ μ m g cos θ ] and got it wrong
    Someone please help me

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Re: A crate is pulled by a force (parallel to the incline) up a rough incline. The cr

The question appears to be incomplete. Do you know the angle, initial speed and coefficient of friction? If so, your calculation of
    "F-mg[sin theta - (friction x cos theta)]"
    looks like a good start. Here F = 150, friction = μmg. The result of the calc is the total force on the mass, which you can use in F = ma to find the acceleration. Once you have that, you can use accelerated motion formulas to find the Vf and then the Ek to complete part (a).

4. Oct 19, 2011 #3
    Re: A crate is pulled by a force (parallel to the incline) up a rough incline. The cr

ok i got part a which was

how do i get part B
    i tried

V= square root 2(553.0427)/11
    but got the wrong answer

5. Oct 19, 2011 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Didn't you find the Vf in part (a) ? Once you found the acceleration, you would have used d = Vi*t + .5*a*t² to find the time and then
    Vf = Vi + a*t to get Vf. Only after knowing Vf are you in a position to do the energy calc for the (a) answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook