Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A crazy scenario about radio

1. Jul 16, 2006 #1
    If 10,000,000 radios are all tuned in to a small local radio station, wouldn't the radio station crash, or what would happen?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Nothing would happen. It makes no difference to the transmitter if there are no radios at all or a couple of billion. It sends out the signal at a specific wattage (usually about 50,000), and any set within range can tune it in. There's no feedback to tell the transmitter how many sets it's 'talking to'.

4. Jul 16, 2006 #3
    Well how far apart and away from the transmitter are those 10,000,000 radios?

5. Jul 16, 2006 #4
    Close enough to recieve the signal.

6. Jul 16, 2006 #5
    Well that was not the point of my question. If 10,000,000 radios get really close we may see some effect.

7. Jul 16, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Only if they're all plugged in and overload the power grid.

8. Jul 17, 2006 #7

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let me rephrase the original question in another way:

If 10.000.000 people are watching a small candle on a birthday cake, would the candle go out ?

9. Jul 17, 2006 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spurious question, how would you get 10,000,000 people in a room to look at a candle?

10. Jul 17, 2006 #9

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'd need a big room :blushing:

11. Jul 17, 2006 #10
    The radio transmitter would be uneffected no matter how many people tuned into the broadcats. The arrangement of the receiving radios could block other radios, who were close enough to receive the signal, from receiving the signal though. Just as the 10,000 heads/bodies vieweing a candle could block other people from viewing the same candle.

There are only so many photons/radio waves emmited, and if they are absorbed by any source that would mean that those photons don't have the chance to be observed/registerd by another observer.

Consider that the transmission tower is errected inside very thick concrete walls (or another substance that does not allow any radio waves to escape ) surrounding all sides. All of these radio waves would be getting absorbed in the same way a radio antenna absorbs the signals.The tower would continue to send signals even though no one outside the walls could receive them and all possible photons are absorbed.

Sorry if I'm using the term absorbed improperly, what I mean is that the signal collapses (if thats a better way to describe it?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?