How High is the Cliff and What is the Gravity on This Alien Planet?

• Thread starter miscellaneous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary, the height of the cliff, g, is 2.257 m, and the acceleration due to gravity on the planet is .5 m/s^2.
miscellaneous
A crewman on the starship Enterprise is on shore leave on a distant planet. He drops a rock from the top of a cliff and observes that it takes 3.00 s to reach the bottom. He now throws another rock vertically upwards so that it reaches a height of 2.00 m before dropping down the cliff face. The second rock takes 4.12 s to reach the bottom of the cliff. The planet has a very thin atmosphere that offers negligible air resistance. (a) How high is the cliff? (b) What is the value of g, the acceleration due to gravity, on the planet?

Here's how I did this:

2 + h = whole height which took 4.12 seconds

2+h = .5a(4.12)^2
h= 8.4872a - 2

h= .5a(3)^2
h= 4.5a

8.4872a-2 = 4.5a
a= .5 m/s^2

h=4.5a
h= 4.5(.5)
h= 2.257 m

Can anyone PLEASE verify these answers? Thanks a lottt

Physics news on Phys.org
miscellaneous said:
He now throws another rock vertically upwards so that it reaches a height of 2.00 m before dropping down the cliff face. The second rock takes 4.12 s to reach the bottom of the cliff.
I assume that the time of 4.12 s is the total time from when the rock is throw to when it hits the ground, not merely the time it took to fall from its maximum height to the ground.

I think that if that was the case, the problem would be virtually impossible without more information because we don't know at what acceleration the rock was thrown vertically and therefore couldn't tell the velocity-->we couldn't tell that time..Do you agree? If I'm wrong, please let me know.

I think you have all the info needed to solve for the height of the cliff and the acceleration.

Can you please guide me in the right direction? I don't know what I should do..

Start by writing every equation that fits the data:
(1) rock thrown rises to a height of 2 m
(2) rock thrown hits the ground in 4.12 s
(3) rock dropped hits the ground in 3 s

1. What is the purpose of a crewman throwing a rock?

The purpose of a crewman throwing a rock can vary depending on the situation. It could be used as a signal, a distraction, or as a tool to clear a pathway.

2. How far can a crewman throw a rock?

The distance a crewman can throw a rock depends on their physical strength and the size/weight of the rock. On average, a crewman can throw a rock anywhere from 20-50 feet.

3. Does throwing a rock require any special training?

Throwing a rock does not require any special training. However, crewmen may receive training on how to properly throw objects for specific purposes, such as throwing a rescue line or using a slingshot for hunting.

4. Can throwing a rock cause any injuries?

Yes, throwing a rock can cause injuries if done improperly or if the rock is thrown at another person. It is important to practice proper throwing techniques and to only throw rocks in a safe and controlled environment.

5. Are there any alternative methods to throwing a rock?

Yes, there are alternative methods to throwing a rock such as using a slingshot, throwing a spear, or using a tool like a hammer. The method used will depend on the purpose and situation at hand.