Help a Struggling Maths Student Solve a Quadratic Equation

In summary, the conversation is about difficulties with solving a quadratic equation and understanding where the term 8k comes from in the expanded form. The manual is correct, and the term comes from using the FOIL method to simplify the polynomial. The solution to the equation is 11, and the explanation also includes an example of multiplying polynomials. The conversation ends with a question about the person's grade level.
Erectable
I might not be the brightest bob in the bunch but I am having trouble with a simple quadratic equation.

k^2 + (k + 4)^2 = 346

According to my manual expands to:

k^2 + k^2 + 8k + 16 = 346

Everything is going fine until I see the 8k. Where did the 8k come from? Or is my manual wrong?

If anyone is willing to aid a poor soul with his maths I would be very grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...

[tex] k^2 + (k+4)^2 = 346 [/tex]

When you square k+4, please remember that it is not [tex] k^2 + 16 [/tex], but rather [tex] (k+4)(k+4) [/tex], which is a polynomial. After you finish using the FOIL method, you get [tex] k^2 + 4k + 4k + 16 [/tex], which can be simplified to [tex] k^2 + 8k + 16 [/tex], which is how you get your 8k.

The solution to the problem is 11 :smile: (Quadratic Equation).

Besides... are you in 9th grade?

yes

Because (k + 4) ^2 = (k+4)(k+4) and you can't just multiply k*k and add it to 4*4 you have to multiply each element as in: k*k + k*4 + k*4 +4*4 which will give you k^2 + 8k + 16. so if you had (k+ 3)(k + 2) = k^2 + 2*k + 3*k + 6

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a second-degree polynomial equation and can have one or two solutions.

2. How can I help a struggling math student solve a quadratic equation?

First, make sure they understand the basic concept of a quadratic equation and how to identify the values of a, b, and c. Then, guide them through the steps of factoring, using the quadratic formula, or completing the square to find the solutions. Be patient and encourage them to practice solving more equations on their own.

3. What are the common mistakes made when solving quadratic equations?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to distribute the negative sign when factoring, making errors in arithmetic, and forgetting to include all possible solutions. It's important to double-check the steps and solutions to avoid these mistakes.

4. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for solving quadratic equations?

There are a few shortcuts, such as using the difference of squares or recognizing patterns in the coefficients. However, it's important for students to understand the fundamental concepts and steps for solving quadratic equations rather than relying on shortcuts.

5. How can I make solving quadratic equations more interesting or engaging for struggling students?

You can make solving quadratic equations more interactive by using real-life examples or incorporating games and activities. You can also break down the steps into smaller, more manageable chunks and provide visual aids to help students better understand the process.