1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Cry for Help

1. Oct 12, 2006 #1
    I might not be the brightest bob in the bunch but I am having trouble with a simple quadratic equation.

k^2 + (k + 4)^2 = 346

According to my manual expands to:

k^2 + k^2 + 8k + 16 = 346

Everything is going fine until I see the 8k. Where did the 8k come from? Or is my manual wrong?

If anyone is willing to aid a poor soul with his maths I would be very grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2006 #2
    Hmm...

[tex] k^2 + (k+4)^2 = 346 [/tex]

When you square k+4, please remember that it is not [tex] k^2 + 16 [/tex], but rather [tex] (k+4)(k+4) [/tex], which is a polynomial. After you finish using the FOIL method, you get [tex] k^2 + 4k + 4k + 16 [/tex], which can be simplified to [tex] k^2 + 8k + 16 [/tex], which is how you get your 8k.

The solution to the problem is 11 :smile: (Quadratic Equation).

Besides... are you in 9th grade?

4. Oct 12, 2006 #3
    yes

Because (k + 4) ^2 = (k+4)(k+4) and you cant just multiply k*k and add it to 4*4 you have to multiply each element as in: k*k + k*4 + k*4 +4*4 which will give you k^2 + 8k + 16. so if you had (k+ 3)(k + 2) = k^2 + 2*k + 3*k + 6

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?