1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A cumbersome line integral

1. Aug 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]
    \int_{C}(xy+\ln{x})\mathrm{d}s
    [/tex]

where C is the arc of the parabola [itex]y=x^2[/itex] from (1,1) to (3,9)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]
    \int_{C}f(x,y)\mathrm{d}s = \int_{a}^{b}f(x(t),y(t))\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+(\frac{dy}{dt})^2}\mathrm{d}t
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I take x as the parameter t, so the parametric equations of the line [itex]x=t[/itex] and [itex]y=t^2[/itex] where [itex]t\in [1,3][/itex]. I can then rewrite this line integral as a regular definite integral by using the formula mentioned above (pardon the bad formatting). However, when I do that, I come up with

[tex]
    \int_{1}^{3}(t^3+\ln{t})\sqrt{1+4t^2}\mathrm{d}t
    [/tex]

I can't seem to find a way to integrate this function. It is integrable, at least according to the Wolfram Integrator. A solutions manual for the book I'm studying from comes up with

[tex]
    \int_{1}^{3}(t^3+\ln{t})\sqrt{4t^2}\mathrm{d}t = \int_{1}^{3}(t^3+\ln{t})2t\mathrm{d}t
    [/tex]

which is quite straightforward, however, it seems to me that it's a mistake since [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}=1[/itex] thus there is a 1 missing under the square root.

So can someone please help me find a way to integrate the integral I've come up with or am I missing something simple, i.e. it has been set up correctly in the book?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2010 #2
  4. Aug 31, 2010 #3
    Oh yeah, I had incorrectly input it in the wolfram integrator. The integral indeed cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

So how do I go about the integral I have?

5. Aug 31, 2010 #4
  6. Aug 31, 2010 #5
    Ok, cheers man.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook