Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A curious thought

1. Feb 8, 2004 #1
    The TOE should explain EVERYTHING. We may not know what it is, but if it does indeed explain everything, odds are that we already possess a formula which describes a very commonplace phenomenon of physics, but have not yet recognized the universality of that phenomenon.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2004 #2
    Are you suggesting something like : 'we dont have the understanding behind everything we have learnt' ?

Hmmmm, what could it be......
  4. Jul 9, 2004 #3
    If the universe was entirely scientific why would it need to exist? Say 'nothingness' existed. What is it? Half comprised +ve, and half comprised -ve.... each cancelling to form the 'nothingness'.... but then WHERE would the +ve be and WHERE would the -ve be and WHY? Would there be more than one set of +ve and -ve or MORE, and WHY would that need to be?
  5. Jul 13, 2004 #4
    Nothingness exists. If i were to tell you of a place 100 billion miles in space from where i am in a specified direction, i would give that place meaning. I have given that place meaning because i have defined that it exists. No matter how small that location is, it still exists because it has been given meaning. If you say, "What about 2 inches to the left of that place, is that nothing"? Not any more it isn't because it has been defined. Nothing is indeed something. I believe that is why space continues forever in every direction. Because all that nothingness out there has some more nothingness in all directions.
  6. Jul 18, 2004 #5
    You are using common sense to try to define physics

A lot of the time, common sense makes less sense in physics

7. Jul 21, 2004 #6
    Godel's Golden Rule

This statement is false.
    this can be spelled out mathmatically in any number system worth its salt. If any TOE were sufficiently developed I would have to assume it would come down to a like statement. QM seems like a good place to start looking.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?