1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A curious thought

1. Feb 8, 2004 #1
    The TOE should explain EVERYTHING. We may not know what it is, but if it does indeed explain everything, odds are that we already possess a formula which describes a very commonplace phenomenon of physics, but have not yet recognized the universality of that phenomenon.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2004 #2
    Are you suggesting something like : 'we dont have the understanding behind everything we have learnt' ?

Hmmmm, what could it be......

4. Jul 9, 2004 #3
    If the universe was entirely scientific why would it need to exist? Say 'nothingness' existed. What is it? Half comprised +ve, and half comprised -ve.... each cancelling to form the 'nothingness'.... but then WHERE would the +ve be and WHERE would the -ve be and WHY? Would there be more than one set of +ve and -ve or MORE, and WHY would that need to be?

5. Jul 13, 2004 #4
    Nothingness exists. If i were to tell you of a place 100 billion miles in space from where i am in a specified direction, i would give that place meaning. I have given that place meaning because i have defined that it exists. No matter how small that location is, it still exists because it has been given meaning. If you say, "What about 2 inches to the left of that place, is that nothing"? Not any more it isn't because it has been defined. Nothing is indeed something. I believe that is why space continues forever in every direction. Because all that nothingness out there has some more nothingness in all directions.

6. Jul 18, 2004 #5
    You are using common sense to try to define physics

A lot of the time, common sense makes less sense in physics

K_

7. Jul 21, 2004 #6
    Godel's Golden Rule

This statement is false.
    this can be spelled out mathmatically in any number system worth its salt. If any TOE were sufficiently developed I would have to assume it would come down to a like statement. QM seems like a good place to start looking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook