1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A dart is thrown

1. Sep 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A dart is thrown horizontally toward the bull's-eye, point P on the dart board in the figure, with an initial speed of 8.9 m/s. It hits at point Q on the rim, vertically below P 0.20 s later.
    a) What is the distance PQ?
    b) how far away from the dart board did the dart thrower stand?
    2. Relevant equations
    x=xi + .5(vi+vf)t
    vf^2= vi^2 + 2a(xf-xi)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not really sure how to begin this problem. I know the knowns are
    vi = 8.9 m/s
    t= 0.20 s
    vf = 0 m/s
    And I believe I need to use one of the kinematic equations.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2016 #2
    Can we start with the basics. What do those Relevant Equations represent, and where should they be used ?

To help a bit further, ##v_f## is not zero. We want velocity when the dart arrives, not when it's embedded in the board.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  4. Sep 17, 2016 #3
    I got the distance away from the board solved but I do not think that final velocity is needed to find the y-component from P to Q. Instead, I tried to solve for the variables related to y and got.
    vi = 0m/s
    a = -9.8 m/s^2
    t = 0.20s
    Δy = ?

5. Sep 17, 2016 #4
    Okay, so what equation should be used, that you can plug those numbers into to get your Δy.

6. Sep 17, 2016 #5
    you were right about the velocity. I found it with respect to y using v = vi +at and then substituting into Δy = .5(vi+vf)t which gave me the answer.

7. Sep 17, 2016 #6
    k, as long as you didn't use the same ##v_i## in 'a' as 'b'. You could have gone straight to ##d=v_it+at^2/2##

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted