Darkness-Free Day: A Sign of Jesus's Birth?

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
In summary: If you throw it in the air, you can make it spin until you catch it. You could spin it in a few different ways, and the center of the rotation would be the "geographic pole".The geo poles are determined by the planet rotation.
moonman239
I have a question. There is a section in my book of scripture that states that the day before Jesus's birth there would be no darkness. Is there a name/explanation for such an event?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_sun

The sun doesn't set for up to months at a time due to the angle of the Earth on its axis.

However, it's only in the high north and south latitudes. Nothing to do with anything so far as a "book of scriptures" goes.
At the poles themselves, the sun only rises once and sets once, each year. During the six months when the sun is above the horizon at the poles, the sun spends the days constantly moving around the horizon, reaching its highest circuit of the sky at the summer solstice.

jarednjames said:

Yeah, I looked at that article. I do have to mention that we're talking about an event that happened in the Americas.

moonman239 said:
Yeah, I looked at that article. I do have to mention that we're talking about an event that happened in the Americas.

No such event has ever happened in the Americas.

What about Canada and Alaska ? Aren't they considered to be a part of Americas ?

yaang said:
What about Canada and Alaska ? Aren't they considered to be a part of Americas ?

Under the continents yes, but I know the 'event' he is referring to in South America so I'm speaking in terms of North / South America. Apologies, I should have been more specific.

Last edited:
jarednjames said:
No such event has ever happened in the Americas.

I guess it could be that whoever wrote that lived in Alaska.

moonman239 said:
I guess it could be that whoever wrote that lived in Alaska.

Well, if it is just a general event then quite possibly, but I don't hold up much for biblical tales.

And technically, that would mean a new Jesus was born every day for a few months of the year. :rolleyes:

yaang said:
What about Canada and Alaska ? Aren't they considered to be a part of Americas?

I think that would be correct.

Uh, unless the happy event took place in Antarctica --Which wasn't discovered for at least another millennium-- the only explanation would be akin to a mega-flare or 'daylight' supernova, which phenomenon is sadly lacking from the historical record...

So does this mean that Jesus and Santa Claus are the same ?

Hmm, that would mean a new santa claus is born each day for six months at the north pole.

It certainly adds credibility to his supposed ability of getting around millions of children in one night... :rofl:

Perhaps if the poles shift to somewhere else on the world, this midnight sun would start to happen there...

darkside00 said:
Perhaps if the poles shift to somewhere else on the world, this midnight sun would start to happen there...

That wouldn't matter, because the Geographic North Pole would still remain at the same place, what you're referring to is the Magnetic North Pole.

There so close, if the mag/geo pole shifts, one will follow the other.

darkside00 said:
There so close, if the mag/geo pole shifts, one will follow the other.

The magnetic poles do shift. You have to correct for this shift when using flight maps to plan a route. They follow are sort of orbital path around true north. And every few thousand years they switch sides (north becomes south, south becomes north). The geo poles certainly don't follow them.

The geo poles are determined by the planets rotation.

or poles follow Earth's rotation

darkside00 said:
or poles follow Earth's rotation

What?

If you are referring to the geographical poles, what part of "The geo poles are determined by the planets rotation. " did you not understand?

Or are you referring to magnetic poles in your answer? In which case I refer you to wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poles_of_astronomical_bodies#Magnetic_poles):
Magnetic poles

Planetary magnetic poles are defined analogously to the Earth's magnetic poles: they are the locations on the planet's surface at which the planet's magnetic field lines are vertical. The direction of the field determines whether the pole is a magnetic north or south pole, exactly as on Earth. The Earth's magnetic axis is approximately aligned with its rotational axis, meaning that the magnetic poles are relatively close to the geographic poles. However, this is not necessarily the case for other planets; the magnetic axis of Uranus, for example, is inclined by as much as 60°.

They magnetic poles don't follow the rotation of the planet.

Darkside: Imagine an ordinary bar magnet sitting on a table. It has magnetic north and south poles. But it isn't moving or rotating so it has nothing like a geographical pole.

If you pick up the magnet, you can rotate it any way you like. If you throw it in the air, you can make it spin until you catch it. You could spin it in a few different ways, and the center of the rotation would be the "geographic pole". The magnetism of the bar would have no effect on how you could spin the bar. (Unless your hands are made of metal or something.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just say Jesus was born in the Americas?

A_Sabra said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just say Jesus was born in the Americas?

No, he didn't. Without directly quoting, it was along the lines of "when there's a day without darkness, Jesus will be born". I suppose it could be taken as "the next saviour will be born in the Americas".

Location is the least of the problems with that story.

Could a massive solar flare cause enough light to be shown that it wouldn't be dark at night?

Sam Nanti said:
Could a massive solar flare cause enough light to be shown that it wouldn't be dark at night?

Bluntly, no.

The reason we get night is because the Earth is blocking the light from the sun (we're on the opposite side from the light).

The only way for something like that to happen is for something to reflect the light back at us (like the moon does).

jarednjames said:
The only way for something like that to happen is for something to reflect the light back at us (like the moon does).

Which rules out a massive asteroid or meteoroid passing close enough to reflect back light for so that long of time, I guess, too.

Sam Nanti said:
Which rules out a massive asteroid or meteoroid passing close enough to reflect back light for so that long of time, I guess, too.

Well we've all seen the effect a full moon reflecting a lot of light can have - a rather bright night, but nothing close to day.

If there's something that close to match the moons brightness, I assure you that extra light is the least of our worries! :biggrin:

Why assume this is a literal account? Sounds allegorical to me. Parables were a staple of sayings attributed to jesus. The bible is not a reknowned source of scientific knowledge.

Last edited:
Your 'scripture and science' is like 'matter and energy' I guess. One may FEEL the other but not when positions are reversed.

Chronos said:
Why assume this is a literal account? Sounds allegorical to me. Parables were a staple of sayings attributed to jesus. The bible is not a reknowned source of scientific knowledge.

Agreed, but there's also a difference between being a parable and just fiction.
Jjjxy said:
Your 'scripture and science' is like 'matter and energy' I guess. One may FEEL the other but not when positions are reversed.

I don't understand this. What does it have to do with the OP?

Hey guys,

Please pardon the bump. I do have one thing to add: The Americas did, according to my book of scripture, witness a sunset. But even after the sunset, it was as bright as day all throughout the night and the next day.

jarednjames said:
I suppose it could be taken as "the next saviour will be born in the Americas".

Nope, it's the same guy.

1. What is Darkness-Free Day?

Darkness-Free Day is a phenomenon where there is no darkness for 24 hours, meaning the sun does not set and the sky remains bright throughout the day. This event is believed to have occurred during the birth of Jesus Christ.

2. Is Darkness-Free Day a real event?

There is no scientific evidence to support the occurrence of Darkness-Free Day. It is primarily a religious belief and is not recognized by the scientific community.

3. When does Darkness-Free Day occur?

According to the Bible, Darkness-Free Day occurred during the birth of Jesus Christ, which is believed to be on December 25th. However, there is no way to determine the exact date of this event.

4. What is the significance of Darkness-Free Day?

For Christians, Darkness-Free Day is seen as a sign of the birth of Jesus Christ and is considered a miraculous event. It is also believed to symbolize the light and hope that Jesus brings to the world.

5. Can Darkness-Free Day happen again?

There is no way to predict or determine if Darkness-Free Day will occur again. It is solely based on religious beliefs and is not a scientifically proven event.