Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A deal?

1. Feb 28, 2007 #1
    Compromise?
    Anybody Smell a deal soon?
    This is not very surprising, I guess it's early sign of a deal been cooked..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2
    Yeah the US is changing its policy and I for one am glad; not like we ever lost respect for the US, fine country, but man its leadership?

If North Korea is anything to go by, I'm hoping that diplomacy from the US will be consistently about actual diplomacy, not diplomacy at the barrel of a gun. Sheez read The Prince Bush et al: hehe.

4. Feb 28, 2007 #3
    This is what we are afraid of here in Lebanon, specially people caught in between.
    A deal means going back to pre-2005, when The US was happy/overlooking the Syrians here..
    Because in the end any outside deal would be a disaster..

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  5. Feb 28, 2007 #4
    I'm fascinated by the Lebanon situation, could you explain why you think what you do? Your answer seems to be a little light on reasoning; if you could explain the political situation in more detail I'd really appreciate it, being a few thousand miles away we don't hear much from the country itself and what we do hear is subject to bias.

6. Feb 28, 2007 #5
    The political Situation , ok this should be easy :rofl: :
    The issue is that you have 2 major teams:
    1)14th of march who are mostly made of the majority of Sunni's, majority of Druz, and a maniority of Christians, who are in power since the assassination of Harriri in 2005
    2)8th of march(The opposition) who are mostly made of the majority of Shiia and Christians, and the rest religious groups.
    There is a small group of people who are in the actual center, like me for example..
    The problem is that, one team is committed to the American project in the region(14h of march) , and the other with the Irania/syrian movement(opposition).
    This issue goes far more then this, most people in 14th of march(except Lebanese Forces) were all best allies of the Syrian regime in the past(until the assassination of Harriri in 2005), it's about who is in power and if they can benefit from that..
    The problem is manifesting in the Government Issue and the International tribunal:
    Hizbollah&Ammal are afraid that the Tribunal would be used politically against them , because they are friends of the syrians.
    14th of march are afraid that if the opposition gets the seats they want in the government ,they will oppose the tribunal and reject it for good, because they believe that the tribunal will end all murders here(as if)...
    Although our "FRIEND" USA could have easily enforced it under the 7th chapter like they did in Serbia-Kosovo situation...
    I'm starting to get lost in my reply , I can't just explain the situation , if you want ask more precise question and I think I'd be more able to explain..

7. Feb 28, 2007 #6
    :lol: Good God, what a political minefield, thanks for your answer :smile:

OK something easier what would you like to see happen?

8. Feb 28, 2007 #7
    The whole political layer to be throw into the sea and appoint me the Prime minister of lebanon :D
    Kidding ,for the second part I don't want to be a prime minister..
    anyway what I would like to see, that these 2 teams get into a solution on there own , we have a history of people taking the choice for us.
    The Taiif agreement is actually a disaster , ever heard of a consensual democracy before? Where you win the absolute majority of the parliament and you still have to share the ruling with the losers?Lebanon is one of the few countries in the world to apply this..
    an outside deal means just delaying the inevitable, the country can not remain in the current situation , either it will change peacefully , or ...

9. Feb 28, 2007 #8
    or...

I hope things will improve, and thank you for your political review, it's nice to get the real story; good luck, most sincerely; in the West we sometimes forget how lucky we are to have a stable situation.

I hope: and if I was religious I'd pray that you get the same.

If you are religious go with God, Allah, Yahweh. :smile: Few do these days.

10. Feb 28, 2007 #9
    First , thank you.
    I thought they are the same person :rolleyes:

11. Feb 28, 2007 #10
    First, you are more than welcome.

In theory they are and in practice they are, but as George Bernard Shaw said

There is only one religion, though there are a hundred versions of it.

You would not believe the amount of conversation I've had with fundamentalists who consider them a different god. Christian and either Australian or American:rolleyes: I know idiots.:smile: Even Pope JPII claimed they were the same, what religion are fundies following these days? And it's only a minority of them, but you will not sway them.:rolleyes: Good lord. I'd like to discuss it further but religious discussions on this forum aren't allowed,suffice to say these people are deliberately trying to divide the religions of the Abrahamic faiths, for what reason, God alone knows:smile:

12. Feb 28, 2007 #11
    lol
    good rule...
    BTW a point I want to clear, the situation here in lebanon is to some extent not directly connected with religion..
    But some people, well they really know how to take the religion road..

13. Feb 28, 2007 #12
    Hey we both know religion and politics don't mix, hell Europe spent two thousand years getting to grips with that fact:rolleyes: :smile:

Good talking with you and thanks for your answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?