1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A delta-epsilon proof.

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    I'm just kind of confused on how to handle the absolute value along with the inequality. Bad algebra skills. :(

0 < |x - x_0| < [tex]\delta[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] | f (x) - L | < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

I'm given: f(x) = 2[tex]\sqrt{x + 1}[/tex], x[tex]_{0}[/tex] = 3, L = 4, [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = 0.2

The attempt at a solution

Nevermind, I tried latex and it messed everything up. Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hi, there!

It is best to forget about the epsilon at first, and focus on bounding the difference in terms of delta.

So, we are to bound:
    [tex]|\sqrt{2x+1}-\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}|=|\frac{2x+1-(2x_{0}+1)}{\sqrt{2x+1}+\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}}|=2\frac{|x-x_{0}|}{|\sqrt{2x+1}+\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}|}<2\frac{\delta}{\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}}[/tex]

You may use this to determine a delta that surely will work for som particular epsilon, say:
    [tex]\delta=\frac{\epsilon}{2}\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}[/tex]

Edit:
    Seems I used the wrong function, but the technique is similar for your case. Try it out.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  4. Jan 19, 2008 #3
    Why did you do 2x_0 + 1?

5. Jan 19, 2008 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Did you see my edit?

Follow a similar procedure with |2*sqrt(x+1)-2*sqrt(x0+1)| instead.

Don't bother to use digit-written numbers(like using 3 instead of x0) before the end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?