• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

A delta problem

| √4x-1 -3 | < .5 X-2<delta

use graph to find delta, u can draw out the graph which is simple, the 4x-1 is squared, it's just i couldn't fit the square root on it all,

now, the coordinates are 2,3 and 3 goes to 3.5 and 2.5

now here's where i get stuck, what do i do with the absolute value of square root 4x-1, because i plug in 3.5 and 2.5 and subtract those with 2 and there not even close to the answer which is 1.44

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
| √4x-1 -3 | < .5 X-2<delta

use graph to find delta, u can draw out the graph which is simple, the 4x-1 is squared, it's just i couldn't fit the square root on it all,
You could at least use parentheses! √(4x-1) or just sqrt(4x-1). Is there a reason for use both x and X? Do they represent different values? And for God's sake don't confuse things by saying "squared" when you mean square root!

now, the coordinates are 2,3 and 3 goes to 3.5 and 2.5
This make no sense at all. The coordinates of WHAT are "2,3" (and do you mean (2, 3) so that an x coordinate is 2 and a y coordinate 3)? I can make no sense at all out of "3 goes to 3.5 and 2.5". 3 is a specific number- it can't "go" to anything else.

now here's where i get stuck, what do i do with the absolute value of square root 4x-1, because i plug in 3.5 and 2.5 and subtract those with 2 and there not even close to the answer which is 1.44
Do you mean putting 3.5 and 2.5 equal to X in .5X- 2?

To begin with, if you actually graph y= √(4x-1)-3 and y= .5x- 2, you will see that √(4x-1)-3< .5x- 2 is not true for x around 2, 3, 2.5, or 3.5. Please state the problem exactly as it is given.