Simplify Quotient of f(x) and Find Values of a and b | Derivative Question

• Thread starter TrueStar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the given function can be simplified to ah+b, with a=6 and b=69. The question was asking for the values of a and b, and the correct method involves evaluating (f(6+h)-f(6))/h using the formula for the function. The correct answer is 6h+69.
TrueStar

Homework Statement

Let f(x) be the function 6x2-3x+11 . Then the quotient f(6+h)-f(6) / h can be simplified to ah+b for what value of a and what value of b?

Homework Equations

I think I need to simplify the quotient above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a=6. I'm not sure what b is supposed to be, nor am I sure what the question is asking me exactly. Perhaps if someone could clarify what I'm supposed to be looking for, it'd give me a push in the right direction.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried evaluating f(6+h)-f(6) / h and seeing what you get?

I would get 1 (one), correct?

TrueStar said:
I would get 1 (one), correct?
No, you're way off. You have the formula for the function, so evaluate [f(6 + h) - f(6)]/h.

OK, I set up the expression as (6+h)^2-3(6+h)+11-6 / h

From this, I got 6h+272

Is this the correct method?

TrueStar said:
OK, I set up the expression as (6+h)^2-3(6+h)+11-6 / h

From this, I got 6h+272

Is this the correct method?

Sort of, except you are making a lot of mistakes. It's 6*(6+h)^2-3*(6+h)+11-f(6) in the numerator. And f(6) isn't 6.

I was working at this problem over dinner with friends and one of my friend's girlfriend happened to see me. She's a math tutor and she showed me the mistakes I was making. I know now that it works out to 6h+69. Thank you all for the added help; I am sorry for being frustrating with my obvious mistakes. :/

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is essentially the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a graph.

2. Why are derivatives important?

Derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze how a function changes over time or in response to different inputs. This is helpful in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. How do you find a derivative?

To find a derivative, you can use the process of differentiation, which involves applying rules and formulas to algebraic expressions or functions. There are also online calculators and software programs that can find derivatives for you.

4. What is the relationship between a derivative and an integral?

A derivative and an integral are inverse operations of each other. The derivative represents the rate of change of a function, while the integral represents the accumulation of that function. This relationship is known as the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. When are derivatives used in real life?

Derivatives are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as computing velocities and accelerations in physics, determining marginal costs and revenues in economics, and optimizing designs in engineering. They are also used in finance to calculate interest rates and risk management strategies.