1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Difference Equation - help please

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    While working on another problem, the following difference equation came up.

[tex]s_{n}=\frac{1}{r_{1}-r_{1}^{n}}}\sum_{k=1}^{n-1}s_{k}B_{n,k}\left(
    r_{1},r_{2},...,r_{n-k+1}\right)[/tex]

The B_{n,k} are (nonlinear) polynomials in the variables r_{1}, ..., r_{n,k-n+1} that don't involve the s's. (In fact they are Bell polynomials though I'm not sure it is necessary to know B's to get a formula for s_{n}.)

Initial condition: s_{1}=1.

You can see that s_{n} is equal to some function of the previous s_{k} for k running from 1 through n-1.

I want a closed form formula for s_{n} that does not involve any other s_{k}. I've taken it up to 5 to look for a pattern and it seeeeems like there is some function of the B's that's being iterated to get the result of simplifying and substituting previous values of s_{k}.

Actually, I'm not sure this is a difference equation because the sum is not fixed but increases in complexity as n increases.

Any feedback or inquiries as to how this problem arose are quite welcome and appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2009 #2
    You'll need to use some kind of relationship between the B's to simplify the formula, otherwise s_n will have 2^(n-2) terms (this can be shown by induction).

4. Mar 14, 2009 #3
  5. Mar 19, 2009 #4
    Here is a recurrence I found in the literature which might help.

[tex]B_{n,k}\left( r_{1},r_{2},...,r_{n-k+1}\right) =\frac{1}{k}\sum_{j=k-1}^{n-1}\binom{n}{j}r_{n-j}B_{j,k-1}\left(
    r_{1},...,r_{j-k+2}\right) [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook