Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A difference in protons

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    A difference in protons....

Im not sure weather this is a pure chemistry question or if it has to do with physics as well so i posted in both forums...please don't hate me.

How does a difference in the number of protons in an element lead to such a difference in the properties (color, texture, form, etc.) of elements? I.E Gold and Mercury. This question has been driving me crazy and I would really appreciate any answers. Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Re: A difference in protons....

Atoms are neutral, so the number of protons determines the number of electrons, and the electrons partricipate in chemical reactions.

4. Sep 11, 2010 #3

Thanks for the reply. I should have explained that im a layman in the field... How do the electrons "participate" in chemical reactions that lead to such a diversity of properties :confused:. How does the one extra electron in mercury make it so different from gold?

5. Sep 11, 2010 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Essentially, that question is "what is chemistry", and takes a textbook to explain.

6. Sep 11, 2010 #5

well its ok some really nice guy explained it in my post on the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=428114".. thanks anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook