1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A difference in protons

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    A difference in protons....

Im not sure weather this is a pure chemistry question or if it has to do with physics as well so i posted in both forums...please don't hate me.

How does a difference in the number of protons in an element lead to such a difference in the properties (color, texture, form, etc.) of elements? I.E Gold and Mercury. This question has been driving me crazy and I would really appreciate any answers. Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Re: A difference in protons....

Atoms are neutral, so the number of protons determines the number of electrons, and the electrons partricipate in chemical reactions.

4. Sep 11, 2010 #3

Thanks for the reply. I should have explained that im a layman in the field... How do the electrons "participate" in chemical reactions that lead to such a diversity of properties :confused:. How does the one extra electron in mercury make it so different from gold?

5. Sep 11, 2010 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Essentially, that question is "what is chemistry", and takes a textbook to explain.

6. Sep 11, 2010 #5

well its ok some really nice guy explained it in my post on the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=428114".. thanks anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook