A different BE statitics

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the number of ways to arrange N_i particles in energy levels with degeneracies g_i, assuming the particles are indistinguishable. The formula for this is \prod_i \frac{g_i^{N_i}}{N_i!}. However, this result is different from the expected result for Bose-Einstein statistics, which is \prod_i \frac{(N_i+g_i-1)!}{N_i!(g_i-1)!}. This is due to overcounting states when dividing by N_i!.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I want to calculate the number of ways for putting [itex] N_1,N_2,N_3,...,N_i,... [/itex] bosons in energy levels with degeneracies [itex] g_1,g_2,g_3,...,g_i,... [/itex].
The particles are indistinguishable and there can be any number of particles in a state.
The level with degeneracy [itex] g_i [/itex] has [itex] N_i [/itex] particles in it.The first of this [itex] N_i [/itex] particles has [itex] g_i [/itex] states to choose.The second,again has [itex] g_i [/itex] choices and the same for all of them.So there are [itex] g_i^{N_i} [/itex] ways for putting [itex] N_i [/itex] particles in [itex] g_i [/itex] sates.But the particles are indistinguishable so their order is not important and so [itex] g_i^{N_i} [/itex] reduces to [itex] \frac{g_i^{N_i}}{N_i!} [/itex]. So the number of ways for putting [itex] N_1,N_2,N_3,...,N_i,... [/itex] bosons in energy levels with degeneracies [itex] g_1,g_2,g_3,...,g_i,... [/itex] is:
[itex]
\prod_i \frac{g_i^{N_i}}{N_i!}
[/itex]

But the above result will give us sth like Boltzmann distribution,not Bose-Einstein's and we know that the answer should be like below:
[itex]
\prod_i \frac{(N_i+g_i-1)!}{N_i!(g_i-1)!}
[/itex]

But what is wrong?
In deriving my formula,I assumed only that the particles are indistinguishable and don't follow Pauli's principle,the same assumptions made for bosons.So what was different?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dividing by N_i! you are overcounting states. Take just one state with degeneracy g_1=1 and two bosons.
Obviously dividing by 2! is not correct.

1. What is "A different BE statistics"?

"A different BE statistics" refers to a set of statistical methods and models that are used in behavioral economics to understand human decision-making and behavior. These methods often incorporate insights from psychology and other social sciences to better explain and predict economic behavior.

2. How is "A different BE statistics" different from traditional economics?

Traditional economics focuses on rational decision-making and assumes that individuals always act in their own self-interest. "A different BE statistics" takes a more holistic approach, considering factors such as emotions, biases, and social influences that can impact decision-making.

3. What are some common applications of "A different BE statistics"?

"A different BE statistics" is commonly used in market research, policy-making, and consumer behavior studies. It can also be applied in fields such as healthcare, education, and finance to better understand and predict human behavior.

4. How are experiments used in "A different BE statistics"?

Experiments are a key tool in "A different BE statistics" and are used to test hypotheses and gather data on human behavior. These experiments often involve manipulating different variables to see how they affect decision-making and behavior.

5. What are some criticisms of "A different BE statistics"?

Some critics argue that "A different BE statistics" relies too heavily on data from laboratory experiments and may not accurately reflect real-world decision-making. Others argue that it oversimplifies complex human behavior and can be prone to biases in interpretation.