What is the limit of a difficult combination?

• Thread starter wisky40
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the problem is to show that the limit of a product involving combinations as n approaches infinity is equal to e^1/2. Using Stirling's approximation, the log of the product can be rewritten as the sum of a logarithm of a factorial, which can be approximated by an integral. With this approximation, the limit can be easily found. Following this advice, the problem was solved successfully.
wisky40

Homework Statement

show that [tex]\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \left[ \left(\begin{matrix} n \\ 0 \end{matrix} \right) \left(\begin{matrix} n \\ 1\end {matrix} \right) ...\left(\begin{matrix} n \\ n \end{matrix} \right ) \right]^\frac{1}{n^2} = e^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Stirling's approximation [tex]n! \sim \sqrt{2 \pi n} n^n e^{-n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I tried to use smallest term to the n-power because that is # of terms of these combinations. Then, [tex] \displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} ((n^n))^\frac{1}{n^2} =1 [/tex]. Secondly I did the same with de largest term, taking into account that middle term of Pascal's triangle [tex]\displaystyle \sim \frac{n!}{(\frac{n}{2}!)(\frac{n}{2}!)}[/tex] which gave me 2, so now I know that the limit is between 2 and 1 but I haven't proved that the limit is [tex]e^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. I also tried logs and play with these combinations from right to left and in reverse but it did not help much. If anybody knows any generating function or idea that I can apply, it will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write the product of the C(n,k) as (n!)^n/(0!*1!*...*n!)^2. Take the log and apply Stirling's approximation log(n!)~n*log(n)-n. To estimate the sum of k*log(k) from 1 to n, approximate it by the integral of x*log(x) (much the same way you derive a rough version of Stirling's approximation).

Last edited:
thank you.

After your advice everything was really easy. I didn't look elegant, however, it was effective.

1. What exactly is a "difficult limit" in your field of study?

A difficult limit is a barrier or threshold that is challenging to overcome or understand within a specific scientific discipline. It can refer to a technical limitation or a theoretical concept that is difficult to prove or disprove.

2. How do you determine if a certain boundary is a difficult limit?

Identifying a difficult limit often involves extensive research, experimentation, and data analysis. Scientists use various methods, such as statistical analysis and comparison to previous findings, to determine if a certain boundary is particularly challenging to overcome.

3. Can a difficult limit be overcome or solved?

While some difficult limits may seem insurmountable, scientific advancements and breakthroughs can help overcome or solve them. However, there are also certain limits that may remain difficult to overcome due to the complexity of the problem or our current level of knowledge.

4. How do difficult limits impact scientific progress and discoveries?

Difficult limits can hinder scientific progress and prevent us from fully understanding certain phenomena or developing new technologies. However, they also serve as challenges that drive innovation and push scientists to think outside the box in order to make new discoveries.

5. Are there any techniques or strategies for overcoming difficult limits?

Scientists may use a variety of techniques and strategies, such as collaboration with other researchers, utilization of advanced technology, and alternative approaches to problem-solving, to overcome difficult limits. It often requires persistence, creativity, and critical thinking.