1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A difficult limit for me

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    show that [tex]\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \left[ \left(\begin{matrix} n \\ 0 \end{matrix} \right) \left(\begin{matrix} n \\ 1\end {matrix} \right) ....\left(\begin{matrix} n \\ n \end{matrix} \right ) \right]^\frac{1}{n^2} = e^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Stirling's approximation [tex]n! \sim \sqrt{2 \pi n} n^n e^{-n}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly I tried to use smallest term to the n-power because that is # of terms of these combinations. Then, [tex] \displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} ((n^n))^\frac{1}{n^2} =1 [/tex]. Secondly I did the same with de largest term, taking into account that middle term of Pascal's triangle [tex]\displaystyle \sim \frac{n!}{(\frac{n}{2}!)(\frac{n}{2}!)}[/tex] which gave me 2, so now I know that the limit is between 2 and 1 but I haven't proved that the limit is [tex]e^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. I also tried logs and play with these combinations from right to left and in reverse but it did not help much. If anybody knows any generating function or idea that I can apply, it will be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can write the product of the C(n,k) as (n!)^n/(0!*1!*...*n!)^2. Take the log and apply Stirling's approximation log(n!)~n*log(n)-n. To estimate the sum of k*log(k) from 1 to n, approximate it by the integral of x*log(x) (much the same way you derive a rough version of Stirling's approximation).
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  4. Jan 7, 2009 #3
    thank you.

After your advice everything was really easy. I didn't look elegant, however, it was effective.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?