1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A difficult multiple integral question

1. Apr 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I don't have the answer for this one, so hopefully someone can help...

(a) By reversing the order of integration, evaluate [tex]\int_0^8 \int_{y^{1/3}}^2 \sqrt{x^4 + 1} dx dy[/tex]

(b) By evaluating an appropriate double integral, find the volume of the wedge lying between the planes z = px and z = qx (p > q >0) and the cylinder [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 2ax[/tex] where a> 0.

Find also the area of the curved surface of the wedge.

3. The attempt at a solution

This is a really strange, and in my opinion, incredibly difficult question. The first part is straightforward.

For the second part, I tried to visualise the wedge in the x-z, x-y and y-z dimensions. I settled for a view in the x-z dimension:

xga33l.png

and then did a relative volume. The area enclosed between the lines is

[tex]\int_0^{2a} \int_{qx}^{px} dy dx = 2a^2 (p-q)[/tex]

then the relative volume is given by [tex]\pi a^3 (p-q)[/tex]

Can somebody help check this please? I don't think it's the right answer, seeing as it has absolutely nothing to do with the (a) integral, which I'm guessing is a hint of some sort.

How do I work out the second part? (Just some hints please.) I am thinking of parameterisation at the moment (since y is dependent on x, z is dependent on x), although not quite sure how to do that.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?