A difficult projectile problem

• Thread starter jysim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the problem involves a cannon being fired at a 30 degree angle from a 20m cliff and landing 40m away from the base. The speed of the projectile needs to be determined and can be solved using two equations in terms of velocity and time. The vertical displacement is 0 since the projectile goes up and down the same distance, and the "t" in the equation represents the total time for both horizontal and vertical components.
jysim

Homework Statement

A cannon is fired at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal from a cliff that is 20m above a flat river bottom. What is the initial speed of the projectile if it is found to land 40m from the base of the cliff?

Please provide me with relevant explanations as well. Thanks! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Resolve the speed into horizontal and vertical components.

The speed is not provided in the question.

Call the speed v, then.

To clarify, assuming I've set this up right, if you do this ultimately you end up with two equations in v and t, which you can solve for either.

What I got so far was Vi cos 30t = 40
Is the total vertical distance merely 20m since the vertical displacement of the cannonball during the parabolic trajectory is 0? (Since it goes up and down the same distance?) - pardon my bad english lol!

Is the "t" in the Vi cos 30t = 40 equation the total time taken for the entire projectile motion or just the upper symmetrical part of the projectile (excluding the 20m descent)?
Thanks!

jysim said:
What I got so far was Vi cos 30t = 40
Is the total vertical distance merely 20m since the vertical displacement of the cannonball during the parabolic trajectory is 0? (Since it goes up and down the same distance?) - pardon my bad english lol!

Is the "t" in the Vi cos 30t = 40 equation the total time taken for the entire projectile motion or just the upper symmetrical part of the projectile (excluding the 20m descent)?
Thanks!

First part yes (don't forget to check your signs), and for the second part t is the total time (as you'd using the total time for both the horizontal and vertical components, no?)

1. What is a difficult projectile problem?

A difficult projectile problem refers to a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is launched into the air, such as a ball or projectile. These problems often require complex equations and multiple steps to solve, making them challenging for many students and researchers.

2. What are some common examples of difficult projectile problems?

Some common examples of difficult projectile problems include calculating the trajectory of a baseball after it is hit by a bat, determining the motion of a cannonball fired from a cannon, or finding the maximum height and distance of a rocket launched into space.

3. How do scientists approach solving difficult projectile problems?

Scientists and researchers typically use mathematical equations, such as the kinematic equations, to solve difficult projectile problems. They also rely on principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to understand the behavior of objects in motion.

4. Why are difficult projectile problems important to study?

Difficult projectile problems are important to study because they help us understand the behavior of objects in motion and how they interact with their surroundings. They also have practical applications in fields such as engineering, where knowledge of projectile motion is necessary for designing and building structures and machines.

5. What are some tips for solving difficult projectile problems?

Some tips for solving difficult projectile problems include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps, carefully labeling and organizing all given information, and using the correct equations and units. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams and graphs to visualize the problem and its solution.