Finding College Direction for a Career in DARPA Muscle Research

In summary, as a high school student looking for colleges, you are interested in pursuing a career related to tissue regeneration and are seeking suggestions for what to major in. Possible majors could include biology or biomedical engineering, with a focus on developmental biology. Whether or not to go pre-med would depend on your future goals, such as becoming a doctor, researcher, or pursuing an MD-PhD program. While an MD-PhD may open up more research opportunities, it also requires a longer time commitment. Ultimately, keeping your options open by taking a pre-med curriculum would not make much of a difference.
troupkid
I'm a high school student, looking for colleges.

This is what I want to do as a career:

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2009/03/darpa-muscle-re.html

Any suggestions on what I would major in for this? Asking for suggestions on a college might be much :P

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Physics news on Phys.org
Any sort of field of biology would work or even possibly biomedical engineering. The exact subfield of biology would be developmental biology, but any program that teaches molecular and/or cell biology would cover developmental biology well.

Thanks! Do you think it would make a difference if I went pre-med or not?

After you obtain your undergrad degree, do you want to go to medical school and become a doctor, go to graduate school and become a researcher, or go to an MD-PhD program and do both? If you want to enter an MD or MD-PhD program, you would need to fulfill the pre-med requirements. If you just would like to obtain a PhD, not all of the pre-med requirements are necessary (although preparation for graduate study of biology is almost the same the preparation for medical school).

If you'd like to do research to study the fundamental biology of tissue regeneration and apply the knowledge to creating new therapies, a PhD would be sufficient. Having an MD-PhD certainly opens up more opportunities for research, but the downside of an MD-PhD program is that it takes a very long time (6-10 years versus 4 years for an MD and 4-6 years for a PhD).

If you'd like to keep your options open, it wouldn't hurt to plan to take a pre-med curriculum. It shouldn't be much different than that of a non-pre-med biology student, so it would not make much of a difference either way.

Thanks so much, yeah, I'm still trying to keep my options open.

1. What is DARPA Muscle Research?

DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) Muscle Research is a program that aims to develop and enhance human performance through research on muscle function, injury prevention, and rehabilitation. It is funded by the United States Department of Defense and focuses on developing technologies to improve the physical capabilities of soldiers and athletes.

2. How can I find the right college for a career in DARPA Muscle Research?

The best approach to finding the right college for a career in DARPA Muscle Research is to research and identify universities that offer programs in exercise science, kinesiology, or biomedical engineering. Look for colleges that have partnerships or collaborations with DARPA or other institutions conducting muscle research. Additionally, consider the faculty and their research interests, as well as the resources and facilities available for muscle research at the college.

3. What are the job opportunities in DARPA Muscle Research?

A career in DARPA Muscle Research can lead to various job opportunities, including research scientists, engineers, and project managers. These roles can be found at government agencies, research institutions, and private companies. Additionally, individuals with a background in DARPA Muscle Research can also pursue careers in the military, sports performance, and medical fields.

4. What skills are needed for a career in DARPA Muscle Research?

A career in DARPA Muscle Research requires a combination of technical skills, such as knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and biomechanics, as well as strong analytical and problem-solving skills. It also requires the ability to work in a team, communicate effectively, and adapt to new technologies and techniques in muscle research.

5. What are the ethical considerations in DARPA Muscle Research?

As with any research involving human subjects, DARPA Muscle Research must adhere to ethical guidelines and regulations. This includes obtaining informed consent from participants, minimizing potential risks, and ensuring confidentiality of data. Additionally, it is important to consider the potential implications and consequences of the research, both positive and negative, and to ethically and responsibly communicate and use the findings.