1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A disastrous 1st quarter

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    Hey everyone, I've been a forum lurker for quite some time and have decided to come out of the darkness.

I have concern regarding my chances of getting into grad school if I decide to go that route. I basically flunked out of my first quarter of college back in 2004 and ended up with an F and a couple of incompletes due to laziness and inability to adapt to the change. I took the next quarter off and came back strong the quarter after at a local community college and have been doing well ever since. I plan on going back to my original school to finish up my Mechanical Engineering degree in near future.

My question is, will that 1st quarter of F/incompletes hurt my chances of getting into grad school? I estimate I will graduate between a 2.9-3.3 GPA.

Thanks everyone.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Yes, it will hurt. Comparing you to someone who got straight A's in that quarter instead, that person will be at an advantage. Will it hurt a lot? Probably not.

I think your bigger problem is your overall GPA. Below 3.5 is not very good. Below 3.0 is bad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?