1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A discontinuous Functional

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to show that the functional [itex] C_n [/itex] on the space of polynomials on the interval [0,1], that takes the n'th coefficient ie

[tex] C_n\left( \sum_{j=0}^m a_j t^j \right) = a_n [/tex]

is discontinuous with respect to the supremum norm [itex] \|p\|_{\infty} = \sup_{t\in[0,1]}|p(t)| [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

A functional F on a normed space is continuous if and only if

[tex] \sup_{\|x\|\leq 1} |F(x)| < \infty [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Our normed space in the problem is the polynomials with the supremum norm.

As a hint it says to consider

[tex] p_k(t) = \frac{(1-t)^k}{bin(k,n)} [/tex]

bin(k,n) is the binomial coefficient.

The supremum of |p_k(t)| in the interval is attained when t = 0 so

[tex] \|p_k\|_{\infty} = \frac{1}{bin(k,n)} [/tex]

and I get by the binomial formula for (1-t)^k, that

[tex] C_n(p_k) = (-1)^n \|p_k\|_{\infty} bin(k,n)[/tex]

but then I get

[tex] \sup_{\|p_k\|\leq 1} | \|p_k\|_{\infty} bin(k,n) | = bin(k,n) [/tex]

but I think the point with hint was that this was supposed to be infinite so that C_n would be shown to be discontinuous. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think there is anything wrong. You have pk->0 in your supremum norm as k->infinity (at least for n>0). If Cn were continuous this should mean Cn(pk)->0. But you have |Cn(pk)|=1. That's enough to show Cn is discontinuous without any explicit infinities anyplace, right?

4. Jan 8, 2008 #3
    That actually sounds reasonable. But then my calculation of the functional norm ie

[tex] \sup_{\|p_k\|\leq 1} | C_n(p_k) | [/tex]

is wrong, since this has to be infinite if C_n has to be discontinuous, though I can't see the mistake.
    Maybe I'll just stick to argument that lim |C_n(p_k)| = 1 but lim p_k = 0, as you said. This shows |C_n| to be discont and therefore C_n is discont, because |.| is a cont map.

5. Jan 8, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can do it that way as well. But then change pk to just be (1-t)^k. Now |pk|<=1. But Cn(pk)=bin(k,n) which is unbounded (for n>0).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?