A disk 8.0 cm in diameter is initially at rest. A small dot is painted

In summary, the disk with a 8.0 cm diameter, initially at rest, accelerates at 600rad/s^2 for 0.5 seconds and then coasts at a steady angular velocity for another 0.5 seconds. The speed of the dot at t = 1 s is 24 m/s, obtained by finding the area under the graph of angular acceleration and using the formula V=rw. This is reasonable as the dot completes 2400 cm per second at 300 rad/s, which is exactly what was obtained through the graph method. The disk completes approximately 150 revolutions in 1 second, using the formula for constant angular acceleration and adding 150/2pi revolutions for the second 0.
guru
A disk 8.0 cm in diameter is initially at rest. A small dot is painted on the edge of the disk. The disk accelerates at [tex]600rad/s^2 [/tex] for .5s, then coasts at a steady angular velocity for another .5s.
What is the speed of the dot at t = 1 s?
Through how many revolutions has it turned?

I approached the first question by drawing a graph of the angular acceleration Vs. time. I then obtained the angular velocity by finding the area under the graph.
I then used the formula V=rw to get the speed.
I obtained 24m/s as my final result.

Is this reasonable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For constant angular acceleration:

[tex]\omega = \omega_0 + \alpha t[/tex]
[tex]\theta = \theta_0 + \omega_0 t + (1/2)\alpha t^2[/tex]

Your graph of the angular acceleration should be a horizontal straight line so the area under it is just the area of a rectangle: the length of the segment on the "t" axis is 0.5 seconds and the height is 600 rad/s2. That's exactly the same as multiplying (0.5 s)(600 rad/s2)= 300 rad/s. "Graphing" works, but seems unecessary to me.
To get the speed of the dot, note that at 300 rad/s it completes 300/(2pi) revolutions per second and each revolution has length 2pi(8) cm: the dot completes 300(8)= 2400 cm per second, exactly what you did.

To get the number of revolutions completed you will need the second formula James R gave for the first 0.5 second, then add 150/2pi revolutions for the second 0.5 second.

1. What is the initial velocity of the disk?

The initial velocity of the disk is zero since it is initially at rest.

2. How long does it take for the disk to reach a certain distance?

The time it takes for the disk to reach a certain distance depends on the acceleration and the initial velocity. It can be calculated using the equation d = vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where d is the distance, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is time.

3. What is the acceleration of the disk?

The acceleration of the disk depends on the force acting on it. It can be calculated using the equation F = ma, where F is the net force and m is the mass of the disk. If no external forces are acting on the disk, the acceleration will be zero.

4. What is the final velocity of the disk?

The final velocity of the disk can be calculated using the equation vf = vi + a*t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is time. If the acceleration is zero, the final velocity will be equal to the initial velocity.

5. How far will the disk travel in a certain amount of time?

The distance traveled by the disk in a certain amount of time can be calculated using the equation d = vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where d is the distance, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is time. If the initial velocity is zero, the distance traveled will depend on the acceleration and time.