1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A disk 8.0 cm in diameter is initially at rest. A small dot is painted

1. Nov 14, 2004 #1
    A disk 8.0 cm in diameter is initially at rest. A small dot is painted on the edge of the disk. The disk accelerates at [tex]600rad/s^2 [/tex] for .5s, then coasts at a steady angular velocity for another .5s.
    What is the speed of the dot at t = 1 s?
    Through how many revolutions has it turned?

I approached the first question by drawing a graph of the angular acceleration Vs. time. I then obtained the angular velocity by finding the area under the graph.
    I then used the formula V=rw to get the speed.
    I obtained 24m/s as my final result.

Is this reasonable?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2004 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For constant angular acceleration:

[tex]\omega = \omega_0 + \alpha t[/tex]
    [tex]\theta = \theta_0 + \omega_0 t + (1/2)\alpha t^2[/tex]

4. Nov 15, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your graph of the angular acceleration should be a horizontal straight line so the area under it is just the area of a rectangle: the length of the segment on the "t" axis is 0.5 seconds and the height is 600 rad/s2. That's exactly the same as multiplying (0.5 s)(600 rad/s2)= 300 rad/s. "Graphing" works, but seems unecessary to me.
    To get the speed of the dot, note that at 300 rad/s it completes 300/(2pi) revolutions per second and each revolution has length 2pi(8) cm: the dot completes 300(8)= 2400 cm per second, exactly what you did.

To get the number of revolutions completed you will need the second formula James R gave for the first 0.5 second, then add 150/2pi revolutions for the second 0.5 second.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?