What Is the Average Force Exerted by Water on a Diver?

• Thread starter xicedcandyx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the average force the water exerts on a person is zero when they are dry, but when they are wet and have an object on top of them (like a wife), the force exerted by the water can be substantial.
xicedcandyx
how do you solve a problem like this? a diver jumps into the water. what is the force exerted by the water? we are only given the mass of the diver

i know it has to do with energy (gravitational and potential?), but i don't know how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
xicedcandyx said:
how do you solve a problem like this? a diver jumps into the water. what is the force exerted by the water? we are only given the mass of the diver

i know it has to do with energy (gravitational and potential?), but i don't know how to do it.

What are your thoughts on how do do it? Does the diver's velocity change when they hit the water? What do you know about velocity changes and what causes them?

1. a 10 kg diver dives into a pool. what is the average force the water exerts on the man?

2. W= Fnet * [tex]\Delta[/tex]r
KE= 1/2 mv2
W= F [tex]\Delta[/tex]r cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

3. W= F[tex]\Delta[/tex]r cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
W= -Fwaterd

do i have enough info?

isn't velocity 0 when the diver hits the water? velocity changes are caused by force according to Newton's 1st law. sooo the force of the water changes the velocity? i still don't get how to find the force the water exerts if i only have the mass :(

xicedcandyx said:
isn't velocity 0 when the diver hits the water? velocity changes are caused by force according to Newton's 1st law. sooo the force of the water changes the velocity? i still don't get how to find the force the water exerts if i only have the mass :(

The velocity of what? The diver is moving down when he hits the water, and is decelerated smoothly as he enters the water and goes down a ways to a stop.

You are right that the water exerts a force during that time, which causes the deceleration. The deceleration may have a constant rate or not, depending on your assumptions.

Pick a total decelration time, and assume a constant deceleration, and calculate the water force required. Then pick a total time that is half of the first one you chose. How much does the average force go up?

No, I don't think there's enough info to solve this. Unless I am mistaken, we need to know from which height the diver jumped (or at least his speed when he entered the water), and how much he moved once in the water.

And the diver's mass is 10kg? Did your mean 100kg?

Or, it's a "trick" question ... (i.e. too much info). How much of a difference does it make if the diver dives or just climbs in? I suppose one other piece of info, which must be assumed, is that a person is most likely very slightly less dense than water.

(The two threads on the same question merged into one...)

Wait, are you supposed to reach a numerical answer (e.g., 5N)? Or can it be in terms of other variables or parameters?

xicedcandyx said:
1. a 10 kg diver dives into a pool. what is the average force the water exerts on the man?
Zero; he's still dry.

However the force his wife exerts on him for having just dropped their 1 year old baby in the pool is substantial.

1. How does a diver jump into water?

A diver typically jumps into water by standing at the edge of a diving board or platform and pushing off with their feet, extending their arms forward and their body in a streamlined position to enter the water smoothly.

2. What safety precautions should a diver take when jumping into water?

Before jumping, a diver should ensure that the water is deep enough to avoid hitting the bottom or any objects, and that there are no obstacles in the way. They should also do a visual check of the water to make sure it is clear and that there are no swimmers in the way.

3. How does a diver avoid injury when jumping into water?

A diver can avoid injury by entering the water in a controlled and streamlined manner, with their arms and hands in front of their body to break the surface tension. They should also keep their head and neck in a neutral position to avoid hitting the bottom or any objects.

4. What is the best technique for jumping into water?

The best technique for jumping into water is to keep the body in a straight, streamlined position and to land feet first with the arms and hands extended in front of the body to break the surface tension. The head and neck should be kept in a neutral position to avoid injury.

5. How does a diver minimize the impact when jumping into water?

A diver can minimize the impact by entering the water in a controlled manner, with their body in a streamlined position and their arms and hands extended in front of them. They can also try to enter the water at an angle rather than straight down to reduce the impact force.