A doubt about force directions

In summary, the question is asking for the acceleration of a system, but theres an error in the calculation.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
nothing
Relevant Equations
nothing
Exercise like this:
2unzfqc.png

I think that the friction force can assume two direction, up and down, but how can i know the direction of the force?
I want to say, i don't even know which mass is greater to say i the block will upward or downward.
that is the doubt.

That is the correct forces directions:
LAJLw4x.png

[how can i know that is the right direction to friction force?]

The only answer i wonder is, if i choose the wrong direction, eventually i will fall into absurdity, that is, the magnitude force will be negative, but the magnitude is only positive, so that is the absurdity

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need to know the direction of the force in advance. Just choose one. If you guess wrong you'll get the value as negative.
Why do you consider it absurd? Scalars can be negative. Don't think of it as a magnitude.

haruspex said:
You do not need to know the direction of the force in advance. Just choose one. If you guess wrong you'll get the value as negative.
Why do you consider it absurd? Scalars can be negative. Don't think of it as a magnitude.
Hmmm wel this make sense, but if i can't know if the value is negative? Well, i will use this example.
1586297192998.png

The question is, find the aceleration of the system.
Its not hard, calcule torque and... well... go on, but i choose torque as r(T-T'), when the "question" in the resolution use r(T'-T), the results?
answer right: m'g/(m' + m + M/2)
answer i came: m'g/(m' + m - M/2)

Thats because i choose "the wrong" direction to torque, but how will i know that is the wrong?

LCSphysicist said:
Hmmm wel this make sense, but if i can't know if the value is negative? Well, i will use this example.
View attachment 260211
The question is, find the aceleration of the system.
Its not hard, calcule torque and... well... go on, but i choose torque as r(T-T'), when the "question" in the resolution use r(T'-T), the results?
answer right: m'g/(m' + m + M/2)
answer i came: m'g/(m' + m - M/2)

Thats because i choose "the wrong" direction to torque, but how will i know that is the wrong?
Your error was not that you chose the wrong direction for torque but that you were inconsistent about it. I can't pinpoint your error without seeing all your working.
Here's how it should have gone:
Taking anticlockwise as positive, torque is R(T-T').
##\frac 12MR^2\alpha=R(T-T')##
Taking right and down as positive for linear acceleration, a,
m'a = m'g - T'
ma = T
And here is the critical one:
##a=-R\alpha##
Do you see why?

haruspex said:
Your error was not that you chose the wrong direction for torque but that you were inconsistent about it. I can't pinpoint your error without seeing all your working.
Here's how it should have gone:
Taking anticlockwise as positive, torque is R(T-T').
##\frac 12MR^2\alpha=R(T-T')##
Taking right and down as positive for linear acceleration, a,
m'a = m'g - T'
ma = T
And here is the critical one:
##a=-R\alpha##
Do you see why?
Oh that's good, Now i know that i made a mistake in this end. Thank you, i will be more attentive with my choose.

Attachments

• 1586305395876.png
    1586305395876.png
    307 bytes · Views: 153

1. What is the definition of force direction?

The direction of force is the direction in which a force is applied or acts upon an object. It is typically described using cardinal directions (north, south, east, west) or angles (degrees or radians).

2. How do you determine the direction of a force?

The direction of a force can be determined by looking at the direction in which the force is being applied or acting upon an object. This can be determined through observations or measurements using tools such as force gauges or accelerometers.

3. Can a force have multiple directions?

Yes, a force can have multiple directions if it is being applied or acting upon an object from different angles or points. In this case, the overall direction of the force can be determined by calculating the vector sum of all the individual force directions.

4. How does the direction of a force affect its impact?

The direction of a force can greatly affect its impact on an object. For example, a force applied in the same direction as an object's motion will increase its speed, while a force applied in the opposite direction will decrease its speed. The direction of a force can also determine the direction of an object's acceleration.

5. What are some real-world examples of force directions?

Some real-world examples of force directions include throwing a ball (applying a force in the direction of the throw), pushing a car (applying a force in the direction of the car's motion), and swinging a pendulum (applying a force in the direction of the pendulum's swing).