Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Drawing In Progress

1. Oct 17, 2005 #1
    Recently I acquired a digital camera. Digital cameras are fantastic: I can't reccomend them enough.

On thing I decided to do is to record my progress on a drawing I was doing at the end of each day's work on it.
    Here is the result of day one:
    [​IMG]
    She looks quite alien here with her blank eyes and bald head. The hair is fairly easy and mindless compared to the facial features, so I was concentrating on the hard part, and ignored the easier hair mass at first.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2
    Day 2

Here she is at the end of the second day:
    [​IMG]
    More warm and human.

The proportional dividers on the desk in front of the drawing are how I scaled the image up from the photo.

4. Oct 17, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's great zoob! Are you using pencil? I love to use pencil when I do portraits.

5. Oct 17, 2005 #4
    Day 3

Finally: hair.
    [​IMG]
    I've done alot more modeling on the face and neck, too.

6. Oct 17, 2005 #5
    Day 4

Everything richer and more modeled:
    [​IMG]

7. Oct 17, 2005 #6
    More or less finished

This is where I've stopped. I will probably pick it up again at some later date ond work on the neck and some other things more.
    [​IMG]

8. Oct 17, 2005 #7
    Yeah, it's all pencils. Plain #2's mixed with some 3B, and I use an ebony pencil for the really dark parts.

9. Oct 17, 2005 #8
    Just one thing: :surprised

Zooby, that is amazing! Sometimes I wish I could draw. Keep it up!

10. Oct 17, 2005 #9
    That is fabulous. Really great.

Are you in Laguna Beach? You should be.

11. Oct 17, 2005 #10
    Very nice. I tend to have difficulty drawing hair myself. The last thing I worked on was a sculpture and I had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to sculpt realistic looking hair. Maybe if I used a finer quality clay.
    Do you work in any other mediums?

I feel ashamed. I haven't worked on anything myself in a very long time.

12. Oct 17, 2005 #11
    Thanks very much.
    Thanks. I'm in San Diego. I visited Laguna Beach once: lots of art galleries there.
    ------------------
    The pictures look sort of "under watery" to me. There's some kind of spot distortions, on my screen anyway. Anyone have any idea what could have caused that? They look fine at photobucket, and this distortion doesn't show up untill I put them here.

13. Oct 17, 2005 #12
    Colored pencil. I did alot of sculpture in the past. I was good at hair. It's tedious, though. I had a couple special and interesting tricks for hair.

This girls hair was only easy because I left it more or less as a solid field, and didn't differentiate locks and swirls. That's just the nature of the photo I was working from.

14. Oct 17, 2005 #13
    Wow!!!!! That is absolutely great!!!!!

15. Oct 17, 2005 #14
    You are quite the artist!

16. Oct 17, 2005 #15

cronxeh

Gold Member

That looks great

17. Oct 17, 2005 #16
    Thank you guys very much. I appreciate it.

18. Oct 17, 2005 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Zooby, do you find teeth troublesome? The last portait I did was life size (charcoal) and the picture had a lot of teeth showing, I hate teeth. I never was happy with the teeth.

That really is awesome zoob! You truly have talent.

19. Oct 17, 2005 #18
    Yes, teeth are the very hardest thing for me to draw. If they're not perfect it shows up more than on any other feature of the face. Teeth are, in fact, exceptionally complicated shapes, I have found, and if you don't get them right it is immediately apparent. I avoid them whenever possible.
    Thanks, Evo, I appreciate it.
    By the way, do you have any idea why the pictures copied over with that sort of "under water" distortion? The originals are fine, and very sharp. I tried one on imageshack instead of photobucket, but it was just as bad.

20. Oct 17, 2005 #19
    Did you draw as a child? How did you develop your skills?

21. Oct 17, 2005 #20
    Yeah, I've been drawing since I could hold a pencil. I don't do it constantly, though. It seems to go in binges: I pick it up again a few months each year, but months go by when I don't do any.
    If anyone's interested in trying portrait drawing from photos, there is a woman named Lee Hamond who has written some of the easiest, most practical books on the subject. I have picked alot of things up from books, and also from talking to artists.
    It's not an impossible thing to pick up, even if you've never drawn before. As some may know, Feynman started to learn to draw in his 40's after a life with no thoughts of art, and he got pretty good at it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted