A Drawing In Progress

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
TheStatutoryApe said:
Very good job with the hair. The way you do the hair looks quite a bit like the way I draw it except it flows better and looks more natural then when I do it.
Do you have any more to share?
Here's one of a weird old guy:
side004.jpg

I didn't put too much into his hair, though. It could be worked alot more.

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Wow, those to really good. Have you every thought about selling prints?

El Hombre Invisible said:
That's incredible, Zooby. You are so ace!!!
Thanks, Hombre! I'm glad people like them.
Now who's the girl? (How comes no-one's asked this?)
That sweetie is a girl who worked the counter at a donut shop I used to go to everyday after work. We used to chat alot, and one day I asked her if she'd let me try drawing her. Next day, I brought my camera and took three shots. I did drawings of two of them back then, and didn't get to the third pic till this year. She hasn't seen the recent one. I have no idea where she is anymore.

dduardo said:
Wow, those to really good. Have you every thought about selling prints?
It's funny you should mention that.
I once answered an add from a professional photographer who wanted to exchange his services for art. That is: he would take high quality pics of your art, give you the negatives, and you'd give him some agreed upon artwork in exchange.
He took some pics of a large sculpture I did of an Indian. Somehow we never got around to deciding what he wanted in return. Originally, he was going to give me a photo to make a drawing of, but he couldn't make up his mind.
Apparently, though, he kept some negatives of the sculpture photo, and sold them to a poster making service, because, a couple years later, a guy who saw the sculpture swore to me he had seen posters of it for sale in Arizona at some Native American store.

You should leave Alberts hair as is...cause to me he always looked un-kept. Thats a great sketch of him ..your just have'en all kinds of fun with your new camera! Keep it up, we are enjoying seeing you talents.

Evo
Mentor
You are truly talented zoob! Thanks for sharing. Do you have any more?

Ya, zoob, thats way cool... i doodle, but i can't draw like that at all. i once tried a self portrait, and i hated it so much. are people the only things you draw? or just a fave? my mum always liked plants... i dunno...

I honestly can't draw, and have horrible hand writing, and can barely draw a semi straight line..... I wish I could draw anything O.O
Those are amazing.
My mom does a lot of artwork in her spare time and her art is really good too.... Guess I inherited the crap for art gene from my dad :tongue:

if i am that woman you've drawn, i think i will will give you a reward equally deserving your work. simply amazingly done with simple tools. great!

hypatia said:
You should leave Alberts hair as is...cause to me he always looked un-kept.
No, I'm going to give him a well-slicked Ronald Reagan pompador.
Actually, what I meant when I said the hair could be worked more is just that I could put more detail into it.
Thats a great sketch of him ..your just have'en all kinds of fun with your new camera! Keep it up, we are enjoying seeing you talents.
Yes, I can't recommend the digital camera enough. I got a book on digital photography out of the library yesterday and am finding out all kinds of cool things to try. It's not so much a camera as a tricorder. It does still photos, audio, and video.
Evo said:
Thanks, Evo! Yes, I have PLENTY more. I just have to take shots of them. Takes a bit of set up.
Gale said:
Ya, zoob, thats way cool... i doodle, but i can't draw like that at all. i once tried a self portrait, and i hated it so much. are people the only things you draw? or just a fave? my mum always liked plants... i dunno...
You posted some of yours a while back, and you are better at your age than I was at that age, so by the time you're my age you'll be better than me.
I do two, very different, kinds of drawings: people in regular drawing pencil, and weird, elaborate doodles in colored pencil. I did do a strange kind of fantasy tree-stump thingy in colored pencil once, and I once did a strange butterfly/moth looking thing with a fantasy plant in the background. I'll post those for you soon.

moose said:
I honestly can't draw, and have horrible hand writing, and can barely draw a semi straight line..... I wish I could draw anything O.O
Those are amazing.
My mom does a lot of artwork in her spare time and her art is really good too.... Guess I inherited the crap for art gene from my dad :tongue:
This may be hard to understand, but I can't draw either. I can't draw a straight line or a good freehand circle, and my handwriting is pretty miserable. I could never do any kind of art that involved spontaneously drawn fair lines and layout and balance, i.e. calligraphy. Every major line I do is reworked alot. Lots of erasing in the course of a drawing. Every third drawing, or so, I start, ends up in the trash with some major problem I don't know how to fix. You have to be a bit insane to keep at it till you get an acceptible result, maybe insanely stubborn. I often put drawings away, then pick them up weeks, months, or years later, and do more work on them after some initial frustration factor has attenuated enough to take a fresh look at them.
coffee na lang dear said:
if i am that woman you've drawn, i think i will will give you a reward equally deserving your work.
I like this idea.
simply amazingly done with simple tools. great!
No electronics involved!
Actually, art materials are carefully manufactured and quality control is high. I am very fond of a particular kind of paper with a particular kind of surface which is probably the result of a lot of engineering: smooth finish
bristol board. And I'm particularly fond of a rich dark pencil called an ebony pencil.

Evo said:
I've always loved this face:
side008.jpg

Gale said:
are people the only things you draw? or just a fave? my mum always liked plants... i dunno...
Here'a my butterfly/moth mutant thing with a plant:
side011.jpg

Here's the other "plant" one. I call it "Root System":
side009.jpg

wow! amazing how you've picked your subjects...i like the butterfly/moth mutant thing with a plant... electrifying!

coffee na lang dear said:
i like the butterfly/moth mutant thing with a plant... electrifying!
Thanks, Coffee. The colored pencils are incredibly fun to play with. The colors are very rich for the most part, and I like to play with the most dazzling combinations I can come up with.

Keep em coming, man. They're all great. I took the liberty of setting "Root system" as my desktop image. Hope that's okay, cos it looks striking and cool.

Those are awesome Zoob! :cool: You are one talented individual! I hope your artistic nature and eye flows well over to photography so you can have an awsome time with your camara as well (new medium to experiment with! FUN FUN FUN! :smile:).

I used to draw fair in late grade school early middle school but I haven't done it in so long (lack of interest, turned towards model building/electronics) that I doubt I could draw a straight line in a drafting program :rofl:

Keep it up Zoob, I love looking at em!

El Hombre Invisible said:
Keep em coming, man. They're all great. I took the liberty of setting "Root system" as my desktop image. Hope that's okay, cos it looks striking and cool.
I'm flattered. I'll bill you later.

How did you get the image? I'm not very computer savy, and was wondering if there were a way someone might do that.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
As one portrait artist to another, that is quite spectacular. They are all spectacular.

I'm curious. How many hours did you spend on those works?

Last edited:
Francis M said:
Those are awesome Zoob! :cool: You are one talented individual! I hope your artistic nature and eye flows well over to photography so you can have an awsome time with your camara as well (new medium to experiment with! FUN FUN FUN! :smile:).
Thanks very much, Francis M! Glad you like them.

The camera is pretty much just for recording. I want to be able to use all it's capabilities, but am not intending to take "art" photos. Already have too many things cooking as far as art mediums. (I haven't even posted any sculpture yet.)
I used to draw fair in late grade school early middle school but I haven't done it in so long (lack of interest, turned towards model building/electronics) that I doubt I could draw a straight line in a drafting program :rofl:
It seems I don't have much trouble picking it up again after I put it aside for a while. I pick up pretty much where I left off.

DaveC426913 said:
As one portrait artist to another, that is quite spectacular. They are all spectacular.
Thanks very much, Dave. That's really nice to hear coming from someone else who does portraits.
I'm curious. How many hours did you spend on those works?
Each one is different, but in general I'm very slow compared to other artists I've met. The very first drawing, for instance was 4-5 hours a day for the 4 days I worked on it. The colored pencil drawings take even longer. That "root system" one isn't even finished: you can see a couple of blank patches I still want to fill in. I have quite a few partially finished colored pencil drawings, more of those than finished ones. Every one is different, and I can't even give you an accurate average.

Zoob, those're all so amazing. i'm way impressed. the colored pencil drawings are soo cool. i was traumatisized in second grade and haven't used color since. but that's really inspiring. i feel the urge to maybe start drawing again. kinda feel like maybe i need a few lessons or something eh.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
pattylou said:
That is fabulous. Really great.
Are you in Laguna Beach? You should be.

Ha! Why, so he can paint sailboats and surf?