Digital Cameras: Recording Progress on Drawing in One Day

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
In summary: and then it's gone for a while. I think it has a lot to do with how I process my images: I work extremely fast, and I don't always take the time to clean up my lines.
moose said:
I honestly can't draw, and have horrible hand writing, and can barely draw a semi straight line... I wish I could draw anything O.O
Those are amazing.
My mom does a lot of artwork in her spare time and her art is really good too... Guess I inherited the crap for art gene from my dad :tongue:
This may be hard to understand, but I can't draw either. I can't draw a straight line or a good freehand circle, and my handwriting is pretty miserable. I could never do any kind of art that involved spontaneously drawn fair lines and layout and balance, i.e. calligraphy. Every major line I do is reworked alot. Lots of erasing in the course of a drawing. Every third drawing, or so, I start, ends up in the trash with some major problem I don't know how to fix. You have to be a bit insane to keep at it till you get an acceptible result, maybe insanely stubborn. I often put drawings away, then pick them up weeks, months, or years later, and do more work on them after some initial frustration factor has attenuated enough to take a fresh look at them.
coffee na lang dear said:
if i am that woman you've drawn, i think i will will give you a reward equally deserving your work.
I like this idea.
simply amazingly done with simple tools. great!
No electronics involved!
Actually, art materials are carefully manufactured and quality control is high. I am very fond of a particular kind of paper with a particular kind of surface which is probably the result of a lot of engineering: smooth finish
bristol board. And I'm particularly fond of a rich dark pencil called an ebony pencil.

Science news on Phys.org
Evo said:
You are truly talented zoob! Thanks for sharing. Do you have any more?
I've always loved this face:
side008.jpg

Gale said:
are people the only things you draw? or just a fave? my mum always liked plants... i dunno...
Here'a my butterfly/moth mutant thing with a plant:
side011.jpg

Here's the other "plant" one. I call it "Root System":
side009.jpg

wow! amazing how you've picked your subjects...i like the butterfly/moth mutant thing with a plant... electrifying!

Chopin

Chopin2.jpg

coffee na lang dear said:
i like the butterfly/moth mutant thing with a plant... electrifying!
Thanks, Coffee. The colored pencils are incredibly fun to play with. The colors are very rich for the most part, and I like to play with the most dazzling combinations I can come up with.

Keep em coming, man. They're all great. I took the liberty of setting "Root system" as my desktop image. Hope that's okay, cos it looks striking and cool.

Those are awesome Zoob! :cool: You are one talented individual! I hope your artistic nature and eye flows well over to photography so you can have an awsome time with your camara as well (new medium to experiment with! FUN FUN FUN! :smile:).

I used to draw fair in late grade school early middle school but I haven't done it in so long (lack of interest, turned towards model building/electronics) that I doubt I could draw a straight line in a drafting program :rofl:

Keep it up Zoob, I love looking at em!

El Hombre Invisible said:
Keep em coming, man. They're all great. I took the liberty of setting "Root system" as my desktop image. Hope that's okay, cos it looks striking and cool.
I'm flattered. I'll bill you later.

How did you get the image? I'm not very computer savy, and was wondering if there were a way someone might do that.

As one portrait artist to another, that is quite spectacular. They are all spectacular.

I'm curious. How many hours did you spend on those works?

Last edited:
Francis M said:
Those are awesome Zoob! :cool: You are one talented individual! I hope your artistic nature and eye flows well over to photography so you can have an awsome time with your camara as well (new medium to experiment with! FUN FUN FUN! :smile:).
Thanks very much, Francis M! Glad you like them.

The camera is pretty much just for recording. I want to be able to use all it's capabilities, but am not intending to take "art" photos. Already have too many things cooking as far as art mediums. (I haven't even posted any sculpture yet.)
I used to draw fair in late grade school early middle school but I haven't done it in so long (lack of interest, turned towards model building/electronics) that I doubt I could draw a straight line in a drafting program :rofl:
It seems I don't have much trouble picking it up again after I put it aside for a while. I pick up pretty much where I left off.

DaveC426913 said:
As one portrait artist to another, that is quite spectacular. They are all spectacular.
Thanks very much, Dave. That's really nice to hear coming from someone else who does portraits.
I'm curious. How many hours did you spend on those works?
Each one is different, but in general I'm very slow compared to other artists I've met. The very first drawing, for instance was 4-5 hours a day for the 4 days I worked on it. The colored pencil drawings take even longer. That "root system" one isn't even finished: you can see a couple of blank patches I still want to fill in. I have quite a few partially finished colored pencil drawings, more of those than finished ones. Every one is different, and I can't even give you an accurate average.

Younger Einstein

side006.jpg

Zoob, those're all so amazing. I'm way impressed. the colored pencil drawings are soo cool. i was traumatisized in second grade and haven't used color since. but that's really inspiring. i feel the urge to maybe start drawing again. kinda feel like maybe i need a few lessons or something eh.

pattylou said:
That is fabulous. Really great.
Are you in Laguna Beach? You should be.

Ha! Why, so he can paint sailboats and surf?

zoobyshoe said:
I've met. The very first drawing, for instance was 4-5 hours a day for the 4 days I worked on it. The colored pencil drawings take even longer. That "root system" one isn't even finished: you can see a couple of blank patches I still want to fill in. I have quite a few partially finished colored pencil drawings, more of those than finished ones. Every one is different, and I can't even give you an accurate average.

I did some portrait work in high school and it took me anywhere from 30-80 hours to complete a single piece. They were fairly large, though: about 3x4 ft or so. How big are the drawings that you are posting here?

Very nice! I like them all.

Gale said:
Zoob, those're all so amazing. I'm way impressed. the colored pencil drawings are soo cool.
Thanks so much, Gale. I'm happy you like those.
i was traumatisized in second grade and haven't used color since. but that's really inspiring. i feel the urge to maybe start drawing again. kinda feel like maybe i need a few lessons or something eh.
As a matter of fact, I had the same trauma. I didn't start playing with color again until I was in my 40's. The impulse behind those colored pencil drawings is just doodling: playing. The first time I fell into doodling with the colored pencils it ended up looking cool to me, so I just kept going till I'd filled the whole page.

loseyourname said:
How big are the drawings that you are posting here?
They're all 11X14 inches.

The_Professional said:
Very nice! I like them all.
Thanks, Professional. I'm glad you like them.

zoobyshoe said:
I've always loved this face:
side008.jpg
looks familiar, who is he?

Smurf said:

Ivan Seeking.

Smurf said:
That's Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of the United States, who presided over what was probably the most turbulent period in our history; the civil war, a conflict in which several states in the Southern US tried to band together and withdraw from the United States to become a separate nation.

Every US citizen knows his face instantly, not just from history in school, but because it has been on our five dollar bill for a long time: most of us probably see this face a couple times a day as a result.

This drawing, though, is from a photo taken before he became president, and lacks the beard most people associate with him. I wanted to do a different take on him.

zoobyshoe said:
That's Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of the United States, who presided over what was probably the most turbulent period in our history; the civil war, a conflict in which several states in the Southern US tried to band together and withdraw from the United States to become a separate nation.
Every US citizen knows his face instantly, not just from history in school, but because it has been on our five dollar bill for a long time: most of us probably see this face a couple times a day as a result.
This drawing, though, is from a photo taken before he became president, and lacks the beard most people associate with him. I wanted to do a different take on him.
Ah. It's the beard, that's why I didn't recognize him. My first reaction was Jackson.

zoobyshoe said:
That's Abraham Lincoln, ...

clever zoob...:smile: :tongue:

PlantyThingy

plantythingy.jpg

FlowerPetalThingy

flowerpetalthingy.jpg

FlowerThingy

flowerthingy.jpg

zoobyshoe said:
How did you get the image? I'm not very computer savy, and was wondering if there were a way someone might do that.
If you have Windows, you can right click on the image with the button on the mouse that is on the right side, then click on the option that is something like "set image as background."

If you are running Mac OS X you must save the image, then open System Prefrences> Desktop & Screensaver. Then double click on "Choose Picture..." (probably the ninth one down on the left frame), under the Desktop part, and navigate to where you saved it.

Can you draw what you see in your head well, or only what you see outside your head?

So far all we've seen are abstract works and faces, have you done anything else?

Last edited:
Mk said:
If you have Windows, you can right click on the image with the button on the mouse that is on the right side, then click on the option that is something like "set image as background."
Yeah, he PM'ed me and explained it. I really don't mind if people do this.
Can you draw what you see in your head well, or only what you see outside your head?
I can't draw the stuff in my head at all. The colored pencil stuff is made up as I go along. I'm not working from a mental image.
So far all we've seen are abstract works and faces, anything else?
No, all I do are people and the colored pencil stuff. Never got into landscapes or architectural stuff.

thats totally different from me. i draw what's in my mind mostly, which is why i get the really weird, dali-esque sort of pictures when i draw. the only time i can look at something and draw it is if its already a picture, then i can just redraw the lines i see. but i can't look at like something in front of me and draw it very well.

Ever done a portrait that wasn't a picture first... i fail miserably at those everytime.

Hmmm, when I looked at the FloweryThing I got a brief wiff of Patchouli. Just a beautiful use of color and form!

Gale said:
thats totally different from me. i draw what's in my mind mostly, which is why i get the really weird, dali-esque sort of pictures when i draw.
When I try this all that happens is the page get's filled with a bunch of disconnected sketches. My imagination doesn't create pre-composed, Dali-esque scenes.
the only time i can look at something and draw it is if its already a picture, then i can just redraw the lines i see. but i can't look at like something in front of me and draw it very well.
This just takes practise. I can't do it very quickly, and it's always a struggle, but this is the best kind of excercize.
Ever done a portrait that wasn't a picture first... i fail miserably at those everytime.
I used to torment all my acquaintances by forcing them to sit for me. You're really lucky if you find someone who'll sit for an hour for you, and you always feel like you're imposing on them. This is mainly why I gave up and switched to taking photo's of the people I wanted to draw. A photo will sit still forever for you. Plus you can scale up from a photo with proportional dividers or a grid system and get very good proportions.

i envy how you could make things so very beautiful...i also wish i can see and draw things the way you did. :cool:

lol I never had any talent with art in general, but hey I never practiced much.

<h2>1. What is a digital camera?</h2><p>A digital camera is a device that captures images and stores them in digital format. It uses an electronic sensor to capture the image instead of film, allowing for easy storage and editing of photos.</p><h2>2. How does a digital camera record progress on drawing in one day?</h2><p>A digital camera can be used to capture photos of a drawing at various stages throughout the day. These photos can then be compiled to show the progress of the drawing over the course of one day.</p><h2>3. What are the benefits of using a digital camera for recording progress on drawing?</h2><p>Using a digital camera allows for easy and quick documentation of the drawing progress. It also allows for easy sharing and editing of the photos, making it a convenient tool for artists.</p><h2>4. Are there any limitations to using a digital camera for recording progress on drawing?</h2><p>One limitation is that the quality of the photos may not accurately capture the details and colors of the drawing. Additionally, lighting and angles can affect the appearance of the drawing in the photos.</p><h2>5. Are there any tips for using a digital camera to record progress on drawing in one day?</h2><p>It is important to have good lighting and to take photos at consistent angles to accurately document the progress. It can also be helpful to use a tripod or stable surface to avoid blurry photos. Editing software can also be used to enhance the quality of the photos.</p>

1. What is a digital camera?

A digital camera is a device that captures images and stores them in digital format. It uses an electronic sensor to capture the image instead of film, allowing for easy storage and editing of photos.

2. How does a digital camera record progress on drawing in one day?

A digital camera can be used to capture photos of a drawing at various stages throughout the day. These photos can then be compiled to show the progress of the drawing over the course of one day.

3. What are the benefits of using a digital camera for recording progress on drawing?

Using a digital camera allows for easy and quick documentation of the drawing progress. It also allows for easy sharing and editing of the photos, making it a convenient tool for artists.

4. Are there any limitations to using a digital camera for recording progress on drawing?

One limitation is that the quality of the photos may not accurately capture the details and colors of the drawing. Additionally, lighting and angles can affect the appearance of the drawing in the photos.

5. Are there any tips for using a digital camera to record progress on drawing in one day?

It is important to have good lighting and to take photos at consistent angles to accurately document the progress. It can also be helpful to use a tripod or stable surface to avoid blurry photos. Editing software can also be used to enhance the quality of the photos.