Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A drawing question

  1. Mar 17, 2012 #1

    I'm trying to draw the side-view and I'm having a bit of trouble. Is what I drew correct, or is there some kind of special representation for threaded holes?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Yes, there is a special type of line used to fill in the area of a threaded hole. Look it up in the alphabet of lines. Everything you have so far is fine, you just need more.
  4. Mar 17, 2012 #3
    What else is needed? I know there's a hole at the top, but it'd be to confusing if I tried to include that in the side view as hidden lines.
    I also know dimensions should be included, but I'm omitting them for the purpose of this post. Thanks!
    Btw, what do you mean by the alphabet of lines? I tried looking it up, but is it some sort of chart or table?
  5. Mar 18, 2012 #4
    In general avoid hidden lines wherever possible. It's always preferable to do a another view to show the feature properly.

    In this case I wouldn't use any hidden lines. I'd do a front view, side view on the other side and a top view. The two holes at the front can be called out and positioned from the top view as through holes. Same with the two on the front face.

    Depending on the geometry and the importance of the through hole on the diagonal face, I'd do that as a section view, and the same with the large hole on the top.

    I'd do that because I use CAD. If I were drawing by hand I wouldn't do the section views, but show the hole on the diagonal as hidden lines.

    You can show a threaded hole by a concentric arc that goes around the hole in question, http://media.photobucket.com/image/threaded hole/S_PK/019cdcdd.jpg
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook