1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A dumb question about astronomy

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    I want to know what is different between nebula and a death star?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2
    Nebula is the latin word for cloud. It can refer either to star forming regions ( example: Orion nebula), or to the region surrounding a neutron star (Crab nebula), or the end stage of a star like our sun (Ring nebula). Historically, that word was used to denote anything that appeared "fuzzy" (like a cloud) in the night sky, including the objects that we call today as galaxies.

Technically, there is nothing known as a death star. The object that comes closest to such a description is probably a supernova, and it refers to "explosion" that occurs when a massive white dwarf (at least 1.5 times the mass of the sun) yields to its own gravity. In the end you're left with a neutron star (or pulsar) with material from the star pushed out to form a supernova remnant (again, the example is the crab nebula, aka M1).

Just google these terms; you're bound to get a lot of links to educational websites.

Here something to start with http://astro.nineplanets.org/twn/types.html

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  4. Oct 29, 2006 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You can usually tell by the shape if you're looking at the remnants of a dead star or a just a cloud that hasn't collapsed into one. Ie, the ring nebula is a pretty symmetrical ring, and it would be tough to get something like that from an amorphous cloud collapsing into a star.

5. Oct 29, 2006 #4
    Just adding to what russ said: You need to use a good (not necessarily big) telescope/binoc... (I think) I've seen the Andromeda galaxy and I have seen Omega Centauri, but I couldn't find any difference between the two! :rofl:

6. Oct 29, 2006 #5

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you approach a nebula, you say,

"That's no moon, it's a cloud of gas and dust."

7. Oct 29, 2006 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

"Naw, It's too small to be a cloud of gas and dust. Turn the ship around.":biggrin:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  8. Oct 29, 2006 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The difference between a nebula and a death star is that Darth Vader never used a nebula as a weapon. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?