A false statement from toplogy

• I
  • Thread starter facenian
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a exercise from the book "Topology" by Munkres and the suspicion that it may be false. The exercise involves showing that the image under a certain function of elements from a given topology is an open set in a product space. A subbasis for the topology is also given. One person believes the statement is true and provides a proof, while another person admits they may have overlooked something and agrees that the statement is correct.
facenian
This exersice is from TOPOLOGY by Munkres and I suspect it is false:
"Let ##f:A\rightarrow\prod X_\alpha## be defined by the equation
##f(a)=(f_\alpha(a))_{\alpha\in J}##;
Let ##Z## denote the subspace ##f(A)## of the product space ##\prod X_\alpha##. Show that the image under ##f## of each element of ##\mathcal{F}## is an open set of ##Z##."
The topology ##\mathcal{F}## of ##A## is given by the subbasis
$$\delta=\bigcup_{\alpha\in J}\{f_\alpha^{-1}(U):U\in\mathcal{F}_\alpha\}$$
Does anybody has an opinion?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's true. We have for ##U \in \mathcal{F}_{\alpha_0} \, : \,f(f_\alpha^{-1}(U)) \subseteq U \times \prod_{\alpha \neq \alpha_0}f(f^{-1}(X_\alpha))## and equality on the induced topology of ##Z=f(A)##, so ##f## should be open.

But I might have overlooked something - I tend to in topology.

Yes the asertion on Munkres book is correct, I was wrong. Thanks

1. What is a false statement from topology?

A false statement from topology is a statement that is not true in the context of topology, which is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space and its transformations.

2. How can a false statement be identified in topology?

A false statement in topology can be identified through logical reasoning and mathematical proofs. It can also be identified by examining the definitions and axioms of topology.

3. Can a false statement in topology lead to incorrect results?

Yes, a false statement in topology can lead to incorrect results in mathematical proofs and applications. It can also lead to inconsistencies within the field of topology.

4. What are some common examples of false statements in topology?

Some common examples of false statements in topology include the statement "all continuous functions are differentiable," which is not true in all cases, and the statement "a space is compact if and only if it is Hausdorff," which is not always true in non-metrizable spaces.

5. How can false statements be avoided in topology?

To avoid false statements in topology, it is important to have a solid understanding of the definitions, axioms, and theorems of topology. It is also crucial to carefully examine each step in a proof and to use logical reasoning to identify any potential errors.