Forgiveness: How Can I Rebuild My Father-Daughter Bond?

• Thread starter indoubt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bond
In summary: Try and find things to laugh about and focus on the good times you shared with your father. He may not be perfect, but it's important that you remember the good in him.
indoubt
how can i forgive my father?
this is a family issue. yes, i and my father had a big quarrel. i feel like i have lost my trust in him. the reason why i don't trust him any more is because he left me when i needed him most! even if he has reliazed his fault, but still we don't have the good old father-daughter relationship like before. before we joked and laughed and talked alot. now i just avoid him :cry:

*sigh deeply* it has been months now, but still i don't like talking to him. how and what can i do to forgive him? he is a good father, but this is not enough making me forgive him. *sigh* i know that i hurt my father when i keep behaving this way, but God! i don't know how to get the old atmosphere back. my father is an old man that is why i don't like wasting my time and our time being angry and avoiding each other.

so please, give your advices, i really need them!

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgive and let go.

Acept him for better or worse, and try and see the beautiful things about him, even all does things that make him imperfect, because in the end, we are all like him.

Holding on to anger is like trying to hold on to a peaice of hot coal with the intent of lobbing it at someone else,... in the end you only hurt yourself.

i guess i am VERY stubborn... :frown:

When one falls, they should see the uprising and not the gloom.

Always look for the best in any situation indoubt. See what your father has done for you, and that will overcome the thought of what he has not done for you.

:cry: i must have expected too much of him though. that is why i am now so disappointed when i see that he is not a perfect father afterall.

indoubt said:
how can i forgive my father?
this is a family issue. yes, i and my father had a big quarrel. i feel like i have lost my trust in him. the reason why i don't trust him any more is because he left me when i needed him most! even if he has reliazed his fault, but still we don't have the good old father-daughter relationship like before. before we joked and laughed and talked alot. now i just avoid him :cry:

*sigh deeply* it has been months now, but still i don't like talking to him. how and what can i do to forgive him? he is a good father, but this is not enough making me forgive him. *sigh* i know that i hurt my father when i keep behaving this way, but God! i don't know how to get the old atmosphere back. my father is an old man that is why i don't like wasting my time and our time being angry and avoiding each other.

so please, give your advices, i really need them!

thanks!

That's why you need the stupid little things that you both always have in common. It gives you something safe to talk about that helps each of you edge up to letting the other knows you still love each other in spite of the problems that crop up.

1. What is the importance of forgiveness in rebuilding a father-daughter bond?

Forgiveness is crucial in rebuilding any broken relationship, especially between a father and daughter. It allows both parties to move forward and let go of past mistakes or hurtful actions. Forgiveness also helps to build trust and respect, key components of a healthy father-daughter bond.

2. How can I forgive my father for past mistakes?

Forgiveness is a process that takes time and effort. It starts with acknowledging your feelings and the impact of your father's actions on your relationship. Then, communicate your feelings to your father and listen to his perspective. Finally, make a conscious effort to let go of anger and resentment, and focus on rebuilding your relationship with forgiveness as a foundation.

3. What if my father is not willing to forgive?

Forgiveness is a two-way street, and both parties must be willing to work towards it. However, if your father is not willing to forgive, focus on forgiving yourself for any hurt or resentment you may have towards him. This will help you heal and move forward, regardless of your father's actions.

4. Can forgiveness really help to rebuild a father-daughter bond?

Yes, forgiveness can be a powerful tool in rebuilding a father-daughter bond. It allows both parties to start fresh and create a new, healthier relationship. It also helps to break the cycle of negative patterns and behaviors that may have caused the initial rift in the relationship.

5. Are there any resources or techniques that can aid in the forgiveness process?

Yes, there are many resources and techniques that can help with the forgiveness process. Seeking therapy or counseling can provide a safe space to work through emotions and improve communication with your father. Mindfulness and self-care practices can also aid in managing and releasing negative emotions. Additionally, reading books or attending workshops on forgiveness can provide valuable insights and strategies for rebuilding your father-daughter bond.