What are some conceptual MCQs on physics?

• Thread starter al_201314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary: Which optical phenomenon causes this?I'm not sure what you are asking here. Can you be more specific?
al_201314
Hi guys I've got a few questions here but I'm unsure whether my answers are correct, although these are the few that I don't have much confidence in. Maybe you guys can help me correct the wrongs.

1) 2 large plates are placed a distance of x apart. The plates are charged to a potential difference V and hold charges of +Q and -Q respectively. P.D now increased to 2 V. Capacitance of system would be:

a) halved
b) unchaged
c) doubled
d) undetermined, because we do not know length of plates
e) undetermined, because we do not know charge on plates

My answer is a. (only one option)

2)A light bulb with a tungsten filament is attached to a source of variable voltage. As the voltage is increased on bulb, some of the following would happen:

a) bulb's resistance increases
b) current in bulb increases
c) power dissipated remains constant

My answer is b and c. (More than one option allowed for this)

3) Which of the following "bullet" particles can be used to cause fission in the target nucleus of uranium-235?

a) low velocity alpha particle
b) high velocity neutron
c) low velocity neutron

My answer is c. (More than one option allowed for this)

4) We commonly observe light travels in a straight line but sound does not. Which of the following reasons accounts for this?

a) Freq of light is much higher than sound
b) Wavelength of light much shorter than sound
c) Speed of light much higher than sound

(More than one option allowed for this) I'm unsure for this, can anyone help?

5) For an ideal gas of a given mass, if volume increases while pressure remains the same:

a) Average KE of molecules decreases because work is done by the gas
b) Average KE of molecules remains the same because work is done by the gas
c) Average KE of molecules remains the same because work done by the gas equals heat supplied
d) Average KE of molecules increases because heat is supplied to gas
e) Nothing can be determined about the molecular energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
al_201314 said:
Hi guys I've got a few questions here but I'm unsure whether my answers are correct, although these are the few that I don't have much confidence in. Maybe you guys can help me correct the wrongs.

1) 2 large plates are placed a distance of x apart. The plates are charged to a potential difference V and hold charges of +Q and -Q respectively. P.D now increased to 2 V. Capacitance of system would be:

a) halved
b) unchaged
c) doubled
d) undetermined, because we do not know length of plates
e) undetermined, because we do not know charge on plates

Sounds good to me.
al_201314 said:
2)A light bulb with a tungsten filament is attached to a source of variable voltage. As the voltage is increased on bulb, some of the following would happen:

a) bulb's resistance increases
b) current in bulb increases
c) power dissipated remains constant

My answer is b and c. (More than one option allowed for this)
I'm not sure with this one. If the temperature was kept constant, then (a )would be true. (b) is certainly true. However, power is given by P = IV thus is the voltage increases and the current also increases it must follow that the power dissapated is not constant.
al_201314 said:
3) Which of the following "bullet" particles can be used to cause fission in the target nucleus of uranium-235?

a) low velocity alpha particle
b) high velocity neutron
c) low velocity neutron

My answer is c. (More than one option allowed for this)
I agree.
al_201314 said:
4) We commonly observe light travels in a straight line but sound does not. Which of the following reasons accounts for this?

a) Freq of light is much higher than sound
b) Wavelength of light much shorter than sound
c) Speed of light much higher than sound

(More than one option allowed for this) I'm unsure for this, can anyone help?
Here, you will want to consider diffraction. What is the magnitude of the diffraction dependant on?
al_201314 said:
5) For an ideal gas of a given mass, if volume increases while pressure remains the same:

a) Average KE of molecules decreases because work is done by the gas
b) Average KE of molecules remains the same because work is done by the gas
c) Average KE of molecules remains the same because work done by the gas equals heat supplied
d) Average KE of molecules increases because heat is supplied to gas
e) Nothing can be determined about the molecular energy.

You may wish to reconsider your answer here.

3) What is the proper explanation for this? I admit this is just a guess. A slower moving neutron will be better since too fast a neutron could result in it not 'hitting the target"?

4) For this I only know that the smaller the aperture in relation to wavelength, the greater is the spreading of the waves. So light waves are very short therefore for example we can't see round corners? So answer is a and b?

5) dU = dQ + dW. where dW = p x dV? How do I know whether there is heat suppied?

Another question - for p x dV, for the system after the change in volume, would the pressure be the same as before doing work?

al_201314 said:
3) What is the proper explanation for this? I admit this is just a guess. A slower moving neutron will be better since too fast a neutron could result in it not 'hitting the target"?
In essence, yes. Thermal neutrons (lower velocity) have a larger 'cross section' than fast neutrons. Cross sections (of particles) represent the probability of an interaction between two particles. Thus, the greater the cross section of the neutron, the more probable it is that it will be absorbed by a nucleus. Do you follow?
al_201314 said:
4) For this I only know that the smaller the aperture in relation to wavelength, the greater is the spreading of the waves. So light waves are very short therefore for example we can't see round corners? So answer is a and b?
Almost, the angle of diffraction is greatest when the aperture is of the same size as the wavelength of the wave.
al_201314 said:
5) dU = dQ + dW. where dW = p x dV? How do I know whether there is heat suppied?
Sorry, I messed up there, your are correct. Work is done by the gas, therefore the internal energy and hence the kinetic energy of the gas decreases.
al_201314 said:
Another question - for p x dV, for the system after the change in volume, would the pressure be the same as before doing work?
Yes, [itex]W = p\Delta V[/itex] only holds when the process is isobaric. If the process occurs when the pressure is non-constant we must find the work thus;

[tex]W = \int^{V_{f}}_{V_{i}} P\; dV[/tex]

3) I understand.

4) I got it after some reading up as well. Just to confirm the options I chose were correct?

5) How would one know whether there is a value for dQ, ie, if heat was supplied? Would they mention in the question in anyway or it is up for deduction?

However, why is the answer not consistent with when I use the equation pV = nRT? Volume increase, temp increase by charles law hence internal energy of the system increases?

I've got another here.

A small wooden boat that contains a man floats in a swimming pool, and the level of the water is marked at the edge of the pool. The man drops gently into the pool as a result, the level of the water:

a) will rise
b) will fall
c) will stay the same
d) can't be determined without relative mass of man and boat
e) canot be determined without mass and volume of the man

My answer is c, because Archimedes' principle states that any floating or submerged object displaces an amount of water = to the object's weight. There is no change is weight here, so the weight of water hence volume displaced is constant. Am I right here?

Many thanks once again.

al_201314 said:
4) I got it after some reading up as well. Just to confirm the options I chose were correct?
I'm not sure, perhaps someone else could offer their opinion?
al_201314 said:
5) How would one know whether there is a value for dQ, ie, if heat was supplied? Would they mention in the question in anyway or it is up for deduction?
This page may help some http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/heat.html#c1
al_201314 said:
However, why is the answer not consistent with when I use the equation pV = nRT? Volume increase, temp increase by charles law hence internal energy of the system increases?
The kinetic temperature;

[tex]E_{k} = \frac{3}{2}kT[/tex]

Assumes constant volume, which we do not have in this case. Do not forget that in this case heat is being added to the system (see above link)
al_201314 said:
I've got another here.

A small wooden boat that contains a man floats in a swimming pool, and the level of the water is marked at the edge of the pool. The man drops gently into the pool as a result, the level of the water:

a) will rise
b) will fall
c) will stay the same
d) can't be determined without relative mass of man and boat
e) canot be determined without mass and volume of the man

My answer is c, because Archimedes' principle states that any floating or submerged object displaces an amount of water = to the object's weight. There is no change is weight here, so the weight of water hence volume displaced is constant. Am I right here?
Sounds good to me.

Last edited:
Thanks Hootenanny for all the help.

If anyone do have an alternative opinion for 4) do post!

Thanks for any inputs!

What are conceptual MCQs?

Conceptual MCQs, or multiple choice questions, are a type of assessment often used in education and standardized testing. They consist of a question followed by several possible answer choices, with only one correct answer.

How are conceptual MCQs different from other types of questions?

Conceptual MCQs test a person's understanding and application of concepts, rather than just their knowledge of facts. They require critical thinking and reasoning skills, rather than simple recall.

Why are conceptual MCQs important in scientific fields?

In scientific fields, conceptual MCQs are important because they can assess a person's understanding of complex concepts and their ability to apply them in real-world situations. This is crucial for scientists, as they must be able to think critically and problem-solve in their research and experiments.

How should one approach answering conceptual MCQs?

To answer conceptual MCQs effectively, it is important to carefully read and understand the question and all of the answer choices. Eliminate any obviously incorrect choices and then use critical thinking and reasoning skills to determine the best answer.

What are some tips for creating effective conceptual MCQs?

When creating conceptual MCQs, it is important to ensure that the question and all of the answer choices are clear and concise. Avoid using vague or confusing language and make sure that the correct answer is not too obvious. Additionally, it can be helpful to include answer choices that represent common misconceptions or mistakes, to truly test a person's understanding of the concept.